tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

incoherent ramblings

I was going to comment on the Oscars, but I really should have done that yesterday, so I'll just make a few random notes. I like how they make the non-actor/director/producer award nominees stand on stage (a la miss america) or receive their awards up in the aisle. It's a really nice way to say that these awards are not important and that all we really care about are the pretty people. I guess Scorsese was robbed (saw The Aviator Saturday night and didn't hate it, which is by way of a compliment for me), but since I didn't see Million Dollar Baby, I can't say for sure (a film about boxing and euthanasia--no thanks).

The city looked incredibly beautiful as I was walking to work today. The snow hadn't started to melt yet or turn dirty, and all the trees were covered. It was the perfect kind of storm, just enough to make everything pretty, not enough to make a complete mess.

I had Baked Alaska the other day for a friend's birthday. In case you weren't alive in the 1950s (I certainly wasn't), this is a dessert that was very popular at that time. It's cake with ice cream on top, baked in a meringue crust, which somehow keeps the ice cream from melting. Once I scraped the meringue crust off, it was pretty good, but at that point, I was left with cake and ice cream, which no longer seemed exotic.

This week's New York magazine has a profile of Lizzie Grubman (http://newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/news/people/features/11259/index.html) and how she has been able to put her life back together after that unfortunate Hamptons incident in which she backed over the peons in her Mercedes SUV. She's an inspiration to us all. The high point of the article: "“No one believed in hip-hop but me."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home