tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Monday, March 07, 2005

An interesting weekend: beer, paella, Spanish drama, and a little ancient Rome

This was a very cool weekend. A bunch of us went to see Moving Units (Brian's friend Johan is in the band) at the 9:30. They were great, as were the other opening band, Autolux. The main band, Secret Machines, were really bad, sort of like Rush mixed with Def Leopard. After one song, I escaped to the back bar until the end of the show. I scored a really cool hot pink Moving Units tee shirt (thanks, Johan!).

On Saturday night, I went to a friend's for paella, which was amazing, and delicious Spanish wine, and got to see his new house (also amazing). After dinner, a big group of us saw Federico Garcia Lorca's play Yerma at the new Gala Theatre, which is in the old Tivoli Theatre building in Columbia Heights. The theatre is a bit cramped, but they have preserved the old ceiling, which is really beautiful. The play was in Spanish, so that was an interesting experience, since I do not speak the language. They had surtitles so it wasn't too hard to follow. I enjoyed the production, but I feel like I missed a lot of the subtleties. Still, it was very interesting.

Last night was the inaugural viewing of my I, Claudius group. Wwe only made it through one episode since everyone was pretty beat. Only 11 more to go. If you haven't seen this fabulous Masterpiece Theatre production, I can't recommend it enough. It's very faithful to the books, I, Claudius and Claudius the God (also highly recommended).

3 Comments:

  • At 3/9/05, 4:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Last I heard they were going to make that theater (at 16th and Irving?) into a BORDERS. Maybe their market researchers found out about the literacy rate in the neighborhood. But would have been a shame to loose that one AND the Ontario theater, which is now a discount junk store. Did Columbia Heights ever get the mystical TARGET city planners have been bragging about for a decade? -Lisa

     
  • At 3/9/05, 5:30 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    the target is actually under construction at the moment. there are other stores going into the tivoli building, but i'm not sure what. i don't know about a borders. it's at 14th and lamont i think. the house we were at is john poole's. he bought it in fall 2003 and has done major work to it.

     
  • At 3/17/05, 9:55 PM, Blogger JB said…

    I'm such a big fan of that period in Roman history! Mainly because they switched emperors so often, and so violently. If I can watch Gone With the Wind, Ben Hur, Lawrence of Arabia, and My Fair Lady on successive nights (as I did a few weeks ago), braving I, Claudius should be a cinch!

    Also reminds me of the old Sesame Street sketch starring Cookie Monster titled "Me, Claudius." Too funny!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home