tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Deep Throat

I have to dork out briefly. The revelation that Mark Felt is Deep Throat is both exciting and anticlimatic. Back when I was a budding college journalist, I read All the President’s Men, and I’ve been fascinated by the Watergate saga ever since. The identity of Deep Throat has received much attention over the years and been the source of much cocktail party chatter (ok, not the cocktail parties I attend, but I’m sure someone has talked about it at a cocktail party somewhere). So, now we know. It’s interesting to finally have that last piece of the puzzle, but it’s a little sad at the same time. Bob Woodward made a deal with Deep Throat all those years ago not to reveal his identity, and now he gets scooped by Vanity Fair? There are some concerns about Felt’s mental acuity in his current state (he’s 91, in poor health, and suffered a stroke a few years back). There is also a question of financial motivation on the part of Felt’s family. It’s mentioned in the Vanity Fair piece that his daughter wants her father to be recognized for his courageous act and that she is also interested in the profits that might come from the revelation. A book deal is apparently in the works. The Post may have been left hanging, but today’s coverage is decent and quite thorough. Tomorrow, there will be a long piece by Woodward. I’m looking forward to reading it. Will he reveal the location of the famous parking garage where they he held his clandestine meetings with Felt? These are the kind of dorky details I love.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home