tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Monday, May 16, 2005

I think my head is about to explode

Seriously, wedding planning is giving me that head-exploding sensation a lot these days. What is wrong with me? If i were a true, red-blooded American bride, I would be excited by all this. Instead, I look at bridal magazines and feel like I'm hyperventilating.

My mother just told me that she had to tell my grandmother that we're not getting married in a church. My grandmother didn't take it all that well. It actually never occurred to me that this would be an issue since, although I was technically raised Catholic, we only ever went to church on Christmas or when my grandparents were visiting, but I guess she is just used to the whole tradition thing and think it's weird. I have never really practiced any religion except in the most nominal sense. I never go to church except for weddings and funerals. Brian was raised Catholic but stopped going to church in high school. He is very much against any kind of religious ceremony, and frankly, I am too. I feel like it would be hypocritical to get married in a church that I have no intention of worshipping in. (As an aside, my mother also said, "I didn't know Brian was an atheist." This information apparently came from Colin. Thanks, man. I had to explain to her that he was more of an agnostic, but whatever.) So, my grandmother isn't too happy, but she did tell my mother that at least it would be easier for me to get an annulment later on. Thanks for the vote of confidence, Nana.

3 Comments:

  • At 5/16/05, 9:14 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    Whoa, what happened to "no date set" and "no ring even, maybe" and "no rush," Etta? Whew, breathe. Come to one of my yoga classes.

    Oh, and eff Mom & Nana. I'm sure they're lovely, but do what you want. Also, I bet you could have a wedding without looking at Bride Magazing (BM!!) one. Try it. :)

     
  • At 5/16/05, 10:13 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    the sad thing is that i really haven't done any planning at all. no date yet. no ring yet (if at all). my mother has called a few places to get some info, that's about it. i think it's just the family stuff that can be a little, ummh, anxiety provoking.

    my friend kristin thinks that the bridal magazines are useful in that they show you what you won't want to do.

     
  • At 5/16/05, 10:40 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    Hee hee, tell Kristin that's what friends' weddings are for!! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home