tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Thursday, April 07, 2005

I don't have much to say, but I can still fill up a few paragraphs

I’ve been very lax in updating the blog this week. Either I have no ideas at all, or I think of something really great when I’m nowhere near a computer, and then I can’t remember the idea when I am. In any case, here are a few random thoughts.

I took yesterday off from work to do my taxes. No, my taxes aren’t that complicated, but they are a little complicated, at least for me. Filling out Schedule D or the capital gains tax worksheet usually makes my head spin. It’s all this “if line 6 is larger than line 7, skip to line 12 and add lines 13, 14, and 16, and then multiply by .15” or “if line 6 is smaller than line 7, skip to line 10 and do not pass go.” Did I mention that math is not my strong point? In any case, this year wasn’t too bad, and I was done by 11 a.m., which left me the rest of the day free. It was gorgeous out so I wandered around for a while, figuring it would be a good time to break in a new pair of shoes. Wrong. By the time I hobbled back home, my left foot was actually bleeding. Why must I go through this every year? Are there no shoes out there that won’t cause me intense pain?

Brian and I met some friends of his at a DC United game last night. This was my first United game. It was pretty cool. I haven’t been to a soccer game since college, when the UVA team was it in soccer. They were playing a Mexican team and most of the people there were rooting for Mexico. Loudly rooting, enough to shake the seats. Brian made the mistake of telling me that some seats had collapsed at RFK a few years back, so I spent the rest of the game nervously looking around to make the seats looked secure. When we were on our way home, I got a call from Colin telling me there was a fire in our building, but it didn’t seem to have spread (ther building hadn’t been evacuated). As you may know, my apartment burned down when I was in college, so I am really terrified of fire. When we got to 16th and Florida, there were police cars preventing traffic from going up 16th St, and I was thinking, this is not good. There were maybe five fire trucks outside the building and at least a dozen firemen roaming around. They hadn’t been letting all the people outside back into the building, but about two minutes after we arrived, they let everyone except those who live on the floor where the fire happened back in. The fire had been out for a while, but there was a lot of smoke and they were still trying to clear it out. The fire was four floors below my apartment and on the other side of the building, but my hall really reeked of smoke, so I guess the fire was pretty bad.

Since we were at the game, I taped Lost and Alias and will get to them at some point. Unfortunately, what happened on Lost last night is all over the headlines (well, at least headlines of news sources I visit), so that surprise has been spoiled. Not that I won’t be watching it of course. I’m hoping the remainder of the episodes will have a little more action. The flashbacks were great in the beginning, fleshing out the characters, but now I feel like they are slowing down the action on the island. We still know very little about the island. I really like this show, but the pacing is definitely a problem.

I suppose that’s enough rambling for one post.

6 Comments:

  • At 4/7/05, 4:53 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    Lost and Alias were both REALLY good!! Lost didn't advance the plot much, as you've mentioned, but I cried my eyes out for the last few minutes. It could have been so hokey with the life & death cycle, but they did okay. I swear, if that baby is named [dead guy's name], I'm taking back every tear.

    As for Alias, strange things are afoot! Very exciting stuff with Spy Daddy, Spy Barbie, and Spy Ken. Let's discuss tomorrow, maybe.

     
  • At 4/7/05, 6:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Aren't there four fire trucks and a ladder parked outside the Dork about once a week? There was always some drunk with a kitchen fire in that building. Did you get the thrill of hearing the fire alarm? It sounds like someone is tapping on those big metal bell-disks on the wall with a PEN. Tapping once every thirty seconds......ding...........ding........it's enough to send a chill up your spine (about dying in your sleep cause you can't hear it.)

    But I'm so impressed you did your taxes without TEARS, you're obviously much better at math and directions than me. Or maybe I'm a cry baby, any excuse.

    A good way to resolve the bloody stump issue created by fashionable shoes wearing away at your feet is to move to the trendy sport shoe, ie Puma or Diesel. They're cute and expensive, so you get that satisfaction without the blood. Try it. -Lisa

     
  • At 4/7/05, 6:23 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    Um, you guys ever heard of TurboTax? Best $30 I spend every year...

    And I'm working a bloody stump from my Tuesday shoes right now. Sickening what we do for fashion.

     
  • At 4/7/05, 6:25 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    well, this was really bad b/c, despite the fact that there was a pretty bad fire, and the resident had to be taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation, they never set off the alarm. which makes no sense, seeing as they used to set it off for almost nothing. way back when, in the mid-90s when i was living there, the alarm was so loud, it could wake the dead. it was eardrum-shatteringly loud.

    last year, i did the first run on my taxes and burst into tears, since i owed over a thousand bucks. on a second pass, i realized that i hadn't taken a standard deduction, which brought my bill down to around 200. i was thrilled.

    i would like to move more into the sport shoe realm, but i am afraid they make me look fat. i know that sounds nuts, but when i wear jeans, i like to have a bit of height to detract from my thighs. the other issue is that i wear mostly skirts these days, so the sport shoe doesn't always work. yesterday's shoes were little black flats, which i bought specifically to avoid the bloody stump issue.

    i am very excited for alias. the whole thing with spy ken's dad is looking very promising (although it's a little too similar to the first/second season irina storyline: mom/dad not dead?, mom/dad possibly evil and working for the bad guys?)

     
  • At 4/7/05, 7:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    um, I'm bawling even with the TurboTax--it's too complicated! Now I pay somebody and cry when I get the bill.

    And you can do skirts and sporty shoes--it's the indie girl uniform, no? No socks in summer, knee socks in winter. --Lisa

     
  • At 4/7/05, 9:17 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    I owed almost $1,000 last year and over $1,300 this year. TurboTax is the least of my troubles. Boo hoo!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home