tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Random Thoughts

I’ve been taking a bit of a break from blogging. I’ve been swamped at work, and writing has been a real struggle. I attempted a couple of hurricane-related posts, but I wasn’t happy with any of them, so I didn’t finish them. After witnessing so much utter devastation, I just couldn’t pull my words together. I have been wanting to help in some way, but other than giving to the Red Cross or other relief groups, there wasn’t much one could do from up here. Now that the relief effort is fully under way, there are more options. I’m not planning to hop into a boat and start rescuing people a la Sean Penn, because, well, I know my limits. Tonight, I’ll be gathering up boxes to give to a local group who is working with a Baton Rouge food bank. They’ll be sending down truckloads of supplies, but the first step is finding boxes. I know it’s not much, but at least it’s something concrete I can do.

I heart Anderson

Some of you may know about my long-time hearting of Anderson Cooper. (I know we don’t pray at the same church, but he’s still scrumptious.) Some of you may mock me for this, but his kick-ass reporting from Mississippi has confirmed my affection. Give’em hell, Anderson (not a phrase I ever thought I would typing).

The Gulf Coast may be in tatters, but let’s talk about some real news

This quote from The Scoop about the next season of The Simple Life just made me sigh:

“[A] source says that the producers of the show are trying to figure out how they can proceed even though the two aren’t speaking to each other. “They’re trying to figure out ways to do it where Paris and Nicole don’t appear in any scenes together,” says the source. “They’re really having to think outside the box.”

This should be a challenge, producers. Or maybe you could just remind them that you are paying them each a gazillion dollars and they damn well better start talking to each other.

Did you ever wonder what happens to confiscated designer knockoffs?

Well, wonder no more:

“The bona-fide designer outfits collected at the Crobar party may be a welcome respite to certain fashionable flood refugees, who have been forced to suffer the indignity of wearing "knockoff" designer duds donated by the Department of Homeland Security. The agency has sent $138 million worth of counterfeit clothes confiscated by the feds — pretending to be by designers like Yves St. Laurent and Tommy Hilfiger — to needy evacuees.” [from Page Six]

Because I’m sure the refugees are really worried about their clothes right now.

Could this be the best reality show ever?

Fox is planning a new show called Skating with Celebrities, which will be basically Dancing with the Stars, except on ice. Scott Hamilton will host, and the “celebrities” include the original Buffy, that annoying guy from Full House that Alannis Morisette wrote that song about, and the kid from Different Strokes who wasn’t Gary Coleman. The skaters include Nancy Kerrigan and Kurt Browning. I’m really surprised they didn’t try to get Tonya Harding. That would have really added an interesting dimension. Even without Tonya, I’m pretty darn excited.

3 Comments:

  • At 9/8/05, 2:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Acttually, that explains a lot. I saw a crying woman on the news lamenting loosing everything, with a neatly pressed and tied Louis Vuitton do-rag on her head. And evil me, I couldn't help thinking "you still have your luxury do-rag," but now I know it was probably a releif luxury good given out by FEMA. the moral: don't judge. -L

     
  • At 9/8/05, 7:06 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    Lisa, you are a RIOT.

    What does it say about me that I read your post and immediately thought, in the Skating with Celebrities section, "Kristy Swanson... Dave Coulier... hm, I wonder if she means Todd Bridges or Danny Cooksey? I mean, we all know Dana Plato's dead..."

    ?

     
  • At 9/8/05, 7:21 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    lisa: you would think perhaps that a do-rag is not the most essential emergency clothing item, but what do i know?

    kathryn: is says you have your finger on the pulse. and it's todd bridges. good to see he is out of trouble and into skating.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home