tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Happy Birthday to Me

It’s my birthday today. I am now an age that dare not speak its name. This will the first year in recent memory that I have not had a big party (I am going out to dinner with a few friends tonight, so I will be doing something). Those parties were great, I always had a fabulous time, and I loved it, but I just don’t have the energy this year. We’ve thrown many parties, get-togethers, events, and shindigs in our current place, and I’m just feeling lazy about it. Also, it about 7 months, I will be throwing what is probably the biggest party of my life, so I suppose I’m conserving my energy for that.

The passage of another year is perhaps a time to take stock. At the risk of being overly introspective, I have been thinking about where I am and where I am going. On the plus side, I have a career I enjoy and a job I also enjoy most of the time. I’m not sure that I will do this forever, but I imagine I will stay at least connected with my field. I am getting married to an amazing man, which is a very good thing. I can’t say that I was ever obsessed with getting married, but at least now I can stop having disturbing thoughts about dying alone and being found three weeks later half eaten by an Alsatian (thank you, Bridget Jones, for that image). I still don’t know if I want to have children, and my rapidly aging ovaries are probably begging me to make up my mind already. I have great family and friends around me. I have prolonged my adolescence for as many years as possible and enjoyed almost all of it. Maybe growing up isn’t so bad after all?

5 Comments:

  • At 8/9/05, 5:02 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    Happy Birthday to Lady Tiara!!! I hope you have an amazing day today... and a wonderful dinner tonight... so sorry to miss it. I hope I get to treat you to a drink on Thursday.

    And who says you ever have to grow up? You and Lord Kissington have the greatest toy collection ever. Rock on. :)

     
  • At 8/9/05, 6:58 PM, Blogger bryc3 said…

    god damn it, i couldn't think of anything smartass to say.

    *sigh*

    happy birthday

     
  • At 8/9/05, 7:35 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    bryc3 at a loss for a snarky comment? remember this day, people.

    kathryn, thanks!

     
  • At 8/9/05, 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How could you *possibly* keep your kids from drooling on and otherwise destroying your various "collections?" It's too much to lock behind glass and NO WAY is any of that meant as actual TOYS, you'd have to put the kid behind glass, that may not be legal.

    Happy b-day and don't forget to wear your tiara out to dinner.-L

    ps. thirty is the new twenty, thirty is the new twenty...

     
  • At 8/15/05, 10:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh how I hate birthdays now too. I used to love them & looked forward to 'em, but ever since my big three-o, where I spent it as a birthday boy on the boat I've tried to stop the clock. Much to my friends' annoyance, I even said I was 29 till they shamed me out of it.

    Now I just make sure to spend it out of the country, this year was Dakar.

    Next year, I suggest you buy a plane ticket somewhere nice. It helps, I swear.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home