tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Friday, July 29, 2005

Good times

It’s been a kinda busy week, and I’m recovering from some kind of stomach bug (fun fun fun), but it’s been a good time.

On Wednesday, I stopped by the latest blog happy hour at St. Ex. I got there kind of early since I had to leave by 7. I was sitting at the bar, wondering if I was the first one there, or if there were tons of fellow bloggers there, but I just didn’t know what they looked like. It turned out to be the former. In walked a friend of a fellow blogger (henceforth FOFB) who I had met before. We were chatting, and she asked the bartender if they sold cigarettes there. He said no, and then told her that he didn’t have any because he doesn’t smoke because he won’t support an industry that targets the Third World. Ummh, ok. Nice argument, but it’s hard to give up AN ADDICTIVE SUBSTANCE just for your political beliefs. Nice to see that self-righteousness never goes out of style. (And we prefer the more neutral term" developing world," thanks). FOFB and I went downstairs to see if anyone else was there, and some nice young men were happy to give her a cigarette and light with no political commentary. I had a very nice chat with FOFB. Unfortunately, I had to leave before things really got going, but I got to see Kathryn and Rock Creek Rambler, and I met one of the Two Girls in DC. Sadly, I missed my chance to schmooze (oh, who am I kidding—I’m really not much of a schmoozer) with the Cleveland Park Men’s Club, the Butterfly Network, Circle V, the Boy, DC Cookie, and lots of other no doubt delightful people.

From St. Ex, it was on to Buck’s for a delightful birthday dinner for Mary Ann. Also in attendance were Lord Kissington, Ward, June, the prof3ssor, and two other people whose nicknames I have not decided yet). I had the shrimp and grits, which was to die for, but the bits of steak I tried were equally amazing. Good food, good wine, good company. There’s not much more you can ask for.

Yesterday morning, I checked out a possible wedding site, which I really liked. Things are looking better with the whole wedding thing, and I felt marginally less stressed than I have been for the past few weeks. Last night, I was at Soussi for the Lao-Lao’s (it’s all pseudonyms, all the time around here) birthday. It was another great time, and I got to wish him a happy birthday and see a couple of friends I hadn’t seen in a while. I had vague plans to have people over to sit on the roof tonight, but the current weather situation isn’t looking so good, so my Friday night may be wide open.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home