tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

I'm a dork

I’m a dork. I freely admit this. But I am a dork in a very specific way. No BiMonSciFiCon attendance here. No dressing up as characters from videogames. No Elf ears hidden in my closet. But I do like trivia. I rage at Trivial Pursuit (Genus edition only, not the dumbed-down new version). I fall within the range of what I like to call “hipster dork.” We dress well, we hang out at dive bars, and we know a ridiculous amount of Simpsons trivia (bonus points if you get the above Simpsons reference). Luckily for me, I found a fellow dork to wed. This works out well, since we don’t have to hide our dorkiness from each other. We can let it all hang out.

For example, what I like to call the Battle of the Books. A few years back, the Modern Library published a list of the 100 greatest books (in English) of the 20th century (*). It’s a somewhat subjective list, of course, but it’s not a bad place to start if you’re looking to read some modern classics. When I first discovered the list, I had read about 16 of the 100 books. I am now up to 27. Not bad. Well, it would be if it weren’t that Brian has read 31 of them. Here’s the thing: I’m not just a dork; I’m a competitive dork. This whole list competition started about three years ago, not long after Brian and I started going out. I got all crazy and was trying to read everything. At a certain point, I reached critical mass and couldn’t read another well-written word for a while. I started a couple of books on the list and just couldn’t motivate myself to finish them. I went through a phase of reading nothing but mysteries and thrillers, definitely of the beach variety. During that time, Brian pulled ahead. Then a few weeks back, I picked up a book on the list, not because it was on the list, but because I had always wanted to read it and it had been in my to-read pile for months. This got me back in the game. In the last month, I have read six books on the list. I read three of them in a four-day period (I have to add here that I was sick over the 4th of July weekend, which gave me lots of reading time).

The list is both a competitive pursuit and an incredibly valuable thing to spend time on. I’ve read some wonderful books, and some of the ones I had read before I ever saw the list are among my all-time favorites.

Here are a few of the highlights:

Lolita (list ranking = #4) by Vladimir Nabokov. Yes, it’s about a dirty old man. But once you get past that, it may be the most beautiful book ever written in the English language (and it was written by a nonnative speaker). I took a class on Nabokov in college. It was amazing. (And I had a wicked crush on the professor, but I like to think that my love of all things Nabokov isn’t just based on that.)

Appointment in Samarra (22) by John O’Hara. O’Hara is often overshadowed by his contemporaries Fitzgerald and Hemingway, but this story of a man’s disintegration and inevitable fate is probably my favorite book of all time. It’s not exactly uplifting. (The list isn’t really big on uplifting.)

Brideshead Revisited (80) by Evelyn Waugh. Just brilliant. I won’t say anything else, except to point out that the rather low ranking is ridiculous, particularly given that Waugh’s far inferior Scoop is #75.

The Bridge of San Luis Rey (37) by Thornton Wilder. I just read this one, and I’m surprised I hadn’t read it years ago. The story of five people who die when a bridge collapses in 18th century Peru. Amazing.

Wide Sargasso Sea (94) by Jean Rhys. One of relatively few works by women on the list, it’s the backstory of Jane Eyre. Who is the mysterious madwoman and how did she come to be locked away.

I’m not sure who’ll win this game in the end, but I’m certainly getting a lot out of it.

*I should add that there are plenty of people who think the list is a crock, and it's certainly rather arbitrary. However, I do find it useful.

12 Comments:

  • At 7/12/05, 2:58 PM, Blogger bryc3 said…

    osama bin m3gan used to totally <3 that list. she set about reading as many as she could. but in the end she was reading for the goal of checking the titles off the list, so she wasn't really taking the time to enjoy them.

    i am so glad that i decided to finally kill her.

     
  • At 7/12/05, 3:14 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    I read The Bridge of San Luis Rey in high school - god knows why - and it was amazing. I read it again every couple of years, which is saying a lot as I'm always trying to get through the to-read pile and rarely re-read anything.

    And I actually studied Lolita in a Detective Fiction class in college. The reason it qualified, according to my brilliant (but not at all hot) professor, was that the narrator, as someone obsessed with a child, was unreliable. You had to wonder whether there was a Quilty (remember, he saw him as different names in all the hotels) and whether Lo really was responsive/seductive. Awesome. If you liked it, you should try Ada or Ardor. Great Nabokov novel.

     
  • At 7/12/05, 3:14 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    And great post!

     
  • At 7/12/05, 8:32 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    bryc3, my first try at the list got to be too much like just checking things off, so i stopped for a while. it's better now that i'm actually reading the books because i want to.

    kathryn, i'm already planning to read The Bridge of San Luis Rey again. it was so good that i read it really quickly, and i think i need to go back and read it slowly a second time, so i get it all.

    Lolita makes sense in terms of detective fiction. humbert humbert is a very unreliable narrator. he makes the child out to be a seductress, but isn't that a typical pedophile ploy? nabokov has a lot of unreliable narrators. Pale Fire, which is actually my favorite of his works (and also on the list), is a book in three parts, an introduction, a long poem, and commentary on the poem. the commentary is written by a very unreliable narrator with an agenga of his own, so the poem can be read several different ways. Despair also has elements of this. i've read Ada, but i don't like it as much as some of his other work.

     
  • At 7/13/05, 2:01 AM, Blogger kob said…

    Enjoyed your post, especially the intro.

     
  • At 7/13/05, 7:36 AM, Blogger Big Sky Girl said…

    liked your post. sadly i think many people in the DC area are closeted dorks. it's time we embrace that dorkiness.

     
  • At 7/13/05, 4:53 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    thanks for the comments, KOB and abra. i do think DC is overrun with secret dorks. time to come out of the closet, my friends.

     
  • At 7/13/05, 5:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    DC is the Mecca of secret and not-so-secret dorks. And the secret HQ may actually be Kramerbooks (the back room, where the poetry and bar are.)

    But etta you only scratched the surface of your dork-habits, are these just the public ones? Because indie music and just a few of your "collections" come to mind, too. Saving those for another post, right. ;) No offence, I'm a master dork, albeit of the glue-gun type more than intellectual.

    And thanks so much for showing me that list, how many of the L. Ron Hubbard's have you read? Or are you starting with the Ayn Rand? -L

     
  • At 7/13/05, 5:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just noticed: nothing by Jane Austen or any of the Brontes on either list? How could that be? -L

     
  • At 7/13/05, 5:54 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    in my post, i should have indicated that the link shows two list: one is the modern library; the other is the readers' choice list. three l. ron hubbard books in the top 10. i'll say no more.

    the list is 20th century only, so there are lots of classics that are left off for that reason.

    there are lots of things i could dork out about, but i think i'll keep a few of those to myself. i want to preserve a little mystery here. (and there are so many indie rock dorks these days, it's practically mainstream.)

     
  • At 7/13/05, 7:43 PM, Blogger bryc3 said…

    i am certainly selling etta's dorky secrets to the highest bidder.

    teaser: etta may be the portrait of sophistication, but she has a bizarre fondness for budweiser in a can. ask her.

     
  • At 7/14/05, 2:32 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    oh please, bryc3, we all know that a fondness for bud in a can is the least of my secrets.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home