tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Monday, June 27, 2005

Weekend Update

The weekend started off well at Live Blog 05, where I met up with fellow DC bloggers Kathryn On, DC Cookie, Rob of DCist, and Rock Creek Rambler. It was very cool to meet the people behind the blogs. Eyebar was not at all what I expected (I was thinking it would be more Eurotrash and way more crowded) and a pretty decent place for a happy hour. Later that evening, bryc3 and Karen came over and we had some drinks on the roof. mmm, cold Bud in a can. We had an interesting discussion about The Outsiders. Stay gold, Ponyboy.

On Saturday, Brian and I headed out to the suburbs for visits to Target and the CD Cellar. Why is it that I never leave Target without spending at least 50 bucks? I go in there for one $10, and next thing I know, I have a whole cart full of stuff. If the Columbia Heights Target ever opens, things are going to get ugly. While in the burbs, we saw Batman Begins, which was pretty good. It started off pretty slowly, and I kept wondering when they were ever going to get to the Batsuit, but in the end, all that exposition worked well for the story. I saw the preview for the Dukes of Hazzard movie for the second weekend in a row. It looks unbelievably bad. I know the TV show wasn’t exactly Shakespeare, but was it this dumb?

Saturday evening, Nathan stopped by for a drink on his way to a show at the Cat. (I like this whole getting people to come over for drinks so we don’t have to go out thing.) Later, we watched Shattered Glass. This movie is really amazing. It’s the true story of a reporter at the New Republic who was discovered to have fabricated most of his stories. I know a little about the New Republic from a friend who worked there a few years ago. The episode portrayed in the film happened several years before my friend got there, but knowing a bit about the magazine gave some extra context. Hayden Christensen seems like such a whiny little bitch in the Star Wars movies, but he’s actually very good here, playing a lying, manipulative, needy, but also charming character. Peter Sarsgaard basically steals the movie, playing the editor who finally begins to notice there is a problem. (I should say for the record that this problem is perhaps more interesting to those in the journalistic profession than it would be to everyone else.)

Sunday was a pretty low-key day. We spent some time doing family stuff (no, we still haven’t set a date, and no, pregnancy jokes are not funny, people). In the evening, we watched Pretty in Pink, which to my amazement, Brian had never seen. I won’t say anything here, because I think Pretty in Pink deserves its own post.

6 Comments:

  • At 6/27/05, 10:45 PM, Blogger JB said…

    Yes, Etta. Dukes of Hazzard was, in fact, that dumb. But we loved it anyway!! If you don't believe me, check out CMT during primetime for their Duke-a-thon.

    Seemed like the best way possible to get an unbelievably hot woman (then Barbara Bach, now Jessica Simpson) into a pair of cut off short-shorts, while attempting to launch or expand the careers of a couple of doofuses. Seann William Scott and Johnny Knoxville, COME ON DOWWWWWWWNNNNN!!!

    But whatever. If I was a moviegoer I'd see this flick in half a heartbeat. As it stands, I probably won't.

     
  • At 6/28/05, 11:31 AM, Blogger bryc3 said…

    i can't believe you went to see batman and didn't call me. do you think i'll ever be able to talk anyone else into going with me?

     
  • At 6/28/05, 2:15 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    j.b., nice to see you! i do remember enjoying the dukes of hazzard. and i'm sure it was *that* dumb. but seann william scott (what's with the second "n" in seann?) and johnny knoxville seem unbelievably dumb in the preview. i think i'll be skipping this one. on the other hand, the remaining summer movie schedule isn't looking all that hot, so who knows?

    bryc3, sorry, i should have called. but we saw it at that shitty multiplex out by your old apartment, so you would have hated it. i was pretty nervous the whole time, figuring someone would take a machete to me if i looked at them the wrong way. we also ate at wendys and shopped at target. awesome suburban visit. weren't you at a beer festival on saturday? i can think of someone who might want to see batman because they are wicked hot in the pants for christian bale.

     
  • At 6/28/05, 3:03 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    Oh, I'll see it. Even though Jessica Simpson can't do a southern accent to save her life and THE DUMB BITCH IS FROM TEXAS. Ugh.

    Movie I desperately want to see: The Wedding Crashers with Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson. It could only be better with Luke Wilson, but somehow I bet he'll end up with a surprise cameo.

     
  • At 6/28/05, 3:38 PM, Blogger bryc3 said…

    no, she won't go. i'm already way in the hole. get up kids last week and alkaline trio tomorrow. at this rate i'm going to have to go to mousetrap every month for the rest of my life.

    lips like sugar!

     
  • At 6/28/05, 7:18 PM, Blogger cs said…

    Shattered Glass was a good movie. Pretty interesting I'm sure especially for journalist/politicos found all over DC. I thought the portrayal of Michael Kelly was very sympathetic and unexpected, since I only knew his style from his asinine Washington Post columns.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home