tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Wheat beer + DC weather = bad idea

I swore that last night I was just going to flop on the couch and watch the final episode of Chaotic, as I was in need of some serious celebrity schadenfreude and had missed the first five or however many episodes. This seemed like a good plan since it was about 120 degrees. Of course, it doesn’t take much to twist my arm and next thing I know, I’m at half-price Belgian beer night at Bohemian Caverns. It took me approx. 40 minutes to get my first beer, which maybe wasn’t such a bad thing, since it limited my total intake (1 big beer and one tiny beer). I learned a valuable lesson: Belgian wheat beer and DC weather don’t mix. One and a half of those babies and I was way too full. Also, in those big glasses, the beer gets really warm by the time you're barely halfway through. For the record, I had originally ordered a wifebeater (that’s Stella to you), but they had just run out (grrrr). Still, I did not regret my choice (friends and beer should always win out over celebrity misery). One good thing about the heat—it helped persuade me that I didn’t need that end of the evening trip to Ben’s.

On the topic of celebrity misery, I still can’t get enough of the Tom Cruise/Katie Holmes meltdown. I’ve always found Tom Cruise really annoying (I’m apparently one of the few who finds his “appeal” mystifying), but this whole episode has provided whole new levels of schadenfreude. I was firmly convinved that the whole thing was just a really dumb publicity stunt, but with the news that Katie is converting to Scientology, I am beginning to wonder, only because I can’t imagine anyone converting to Scientology unless they had to (i.e., they really wanted to marry Tom). The Scientologists have even provided her with her own minder (sorry, special friend). Her new buddy is apparently some kind of 11th level gray mage or something.

Dancing with the Stars in on tonight, so I think we all know what I’ll be doing. Can that guy who played J. Peterman on Seinfeld maintain his lead and hold off a challenge from Joey from New Kids on the Block? Will the viewers finally get a clue and vote off the annoying General Hospital chick, or will that fringe bikini she wore in lieu of a dress last week keep her in the running? I’ll provide an update tomorrow.

4 Comments:

  • At 6/16/05, 2:38 AM, Blogger bryc3 said…

    oh whine whine, the beer in question is Hoegaarden and it's not that heavy. you're dead right about drinking it out of those barrels though. by the time you're done it's practically hot. sort of like hugging in 100 degree weather.

     
  • At 6/16/05, 2:47 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    Has anyone seen the stories that he was "channeling" his Magnolia character when he was on Oprah?

    What's that smell? Oh yeah, BULLSHIT.

    He is on the path to crazy, one step behind Mel Gibson and two behind Gary Busey.

     
  • At 6/16/05, 2:57 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    i think the small hoeggarden is the way to go. it stays reasonably cool. as for hugging in this weather, it should be avoided at all costs.

    i know i am in a small minority here, but cruise does nothing for me. he's just too all american looking or something. then again, my taste definitely leans toward the unconventional. also, the whole scientology thing is a huge stumbling block.

     
  • At 6/16/05, 3:14 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    Scientology killed my love for Jason Lee. And let me tell you, it was MAD love. I have to pretend Beck's not a scientologist when I listen to Guero, too. Would ruin my happy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home