tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Friday, June 24, 2005

Big Plans That Go Nowhere

I had big plans for posting yesterday, but they fell by the wayside after my walk to work in the morning. The blocks around my office are made up of large concrete blocks, about 2.5 feet by 1.5 feet. These blocks get loose and trap water underneath them. There are a bunch that are in poor repair, and I have learned to avoid them, but yesterday morning, I stepped right onto one and got a huge splash of Wednesday’s rainwater. Euuuuwwww. That put me in such a grumpy mood that I figure I should hold off on writing until I was a touch more cheerful.

Dancing with the Stars update

My faith in the U.S. voting public was shaken yet again, when they voted off Rachel Hunter and her partner. This makes no sense—Rachel and partner were one of the two best pairs. The judges loved them and gave them great scores. And now they are gone. Seriously, wouldn’t you think that can’t dance so much but I’ll just smile a lot former New Kids on the Block guy or annoying general hospital/serious wardrobe “malfunction” chick would have been voted off? No, apparently not. My mother is up in arms about the voting. She has called me twice in the last two days to complain about it. She claims she will stop watching if the J. Peterman guy is voted off. The upside to these long conversations: She has decided to give Brian and me ballroom dancing lessons as an engagement present. I’m pretty darn excited. Just wait ‘til you see me rhumba!

The End of an Era?

Wednesday night, bryc3, Karen, and I went see the Get Up Kids on their farewell tour. The show was great (except for when the band talks incessantly between songs—less talk, more rock, boys), and they played lots of old favorites, including my four favorites songs of their’s: “Action & Action,” “I’m a Loner, Dottie, a Rebel,” “Don’t Hate,” and “No Love.” This is emo at its whiney best. I haven’t bought any recent stuff by them, but I really wanted to see the show because I loved them so much a couple of years ago. They really represent 2000 for me. That was a year when I had many big changes in my life, and these songs bring up a lot of people and places, some good, some bad, but all interesting.

Someone please make him stop

Tom Cruise continues his public meltdown, refusing to get off his anti-psychiatry high horse. In one interview, he insisted to a German journalist that Narconon is the “only successful drug treatment program.” Whatever you midget freak. Here he attacks Matt Lauer for daring the suggest that psychiatric drugs might help people. Show me your medical degree and then we can talk, Tom. (I am not even going to touch on his “engagement” to Ms. Holmes because it is just way too disturbing—shudder.)

Secrets and lies

Ok, actually just secrets. Check out this really interesting blog. Please send their deepest darkest secrets on a postcard, and the best ones are posted. Some are funny, many are disturbing, all are interesting on some level.

Etc.

Nike, what are you thinking, pissing off Ian MacKaye? This is pretty awful.

1 Comments:

  • At 6/24/05, 9:01 PM, Blogger bryc3 said…

    that guy makes a valid point about skateboarders getting pissed about nike taking the image. skateboard companies have been ripping off mainstream advertising for years, pushing it as far as possible in an attempt to be punk rock. it's common practice to steal a corporate logo and change it slightly to try to be funny. too many instances to name.

    say what you will about nike and their corporate practices (i will say they're fucking deplorable), you've got to give them credit for having marketing savvy. their ad campaigns are consistently outstanding and often brilliant- specifically those associated with the jordan brand.

    this faux pas is just confusing. as confusing as nike's decision to try to enter the skateboard market to begin with.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home