tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Hot town, summer in the city

I walk to and from work every day. During the summer in DC, I am just a glutton for punishment. My other choice is to take the bus (taking Metro would still involve a fair amount of walking and only saves 5 to 10 minutes). I really hate taking the bus. Usually, I have to stand, and I am pressed up against lots of other sweaty people, and often, the air-conditioning isn’t exactly up to the task at hand. On the way home, I can usually get a seat, but then it’s almost impossible to get out of the bus when it stops. Pushing my way through 20 people is not my idea of fun. It’s pretty similar to riding the Metro this time of year, with one blessed exception: tourists don’t ride the bus. So, in the end I just walk. Yeah, the weather sucks, but at least I can go at my own pace, and I’m never stuck in traffic. Unfortunately though, my walking to work time seems to coincide with garbage pickup times on many days. There’s nothing like a wave of rotting garbage to start your day off right. Today, the thermometer should be hovering near 90, but supposedly some relief is in store over the weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home