tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Thursday, July 07, 2005

London

I have been pretty quiet lately, and I had big plans for a long post today, but I’ve put them on hold for the moment because of today’s events. I love London, I’ve spent several wonderful vacations there, and I feel a sort of spiritual kinship to the city. I have friends living there now, and I don’t know if they are ok. I don’t think any of them would be in the affected areas, but I don’t know for sure. One of the bomb blasts was between the Kings Cross and Russell Square tube stations, a route I travelled several times in May. The bus explosion occurred near the hotel we stayed in. In May, I walked all over London feeling totally safe. The fear of a terrorist act should be ever present, but I tend to think of safety in a street crime sense, no doubt a consquence of living in a city with a high crime rate. And London felt safe. But these horrible attacks are a reminder that we’re never really safe anywhere. What a world we live in.

2 Comments:

  • At 7/12/05, 8:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hate to gloat, but, ok I'm gloating: so nice to live in a country that said NO to Bush's war-machine. Each time I ride the subway I relax and smile to myself that, along with not being mugged or harassed by crackheads, I also don't have to worry about terrorists. What's there not to like about Germany and France these days (politically, not talking B.O. etc.) Maybe you should start cultivating a "spiritual connection" with Paris or Berlin. -L

     
  • At 7/12/05, 8:17 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    well, my connection with london has absolutely nothing to do with its government's policies. one of the saddest things about this is that it's my impression that many brits (perhaps the majority) are against the war. when i was in london in early 2002, there was a large protest in trafalgar square against the coming war in iraq, at a time when most americans had no idea it was going to happen. at least the british press is hard on blair, unlike the U.S. press, who are way too easy on bush and his cronies.

    as far as safety goes, i know that there is still great danger from terrorist attacks, but i am far more afraid of knife-wielding lunatics all hopped up on PCP (a woman was stabbed multiple times at 15th and corcoran last week at a rather in the evening by a 19-year-old who thought it would be a good idea to celebrate his birthday by taking PCP. i have seen enough afterschool specials to know that shit is whack.)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home