tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Thursday, July 21, 2005

I got nothing

I don’t know why I have had so little to say for the last week. I’ve been busy (trying not to scratch the 60 mosquito bites I got last weekend and trying to convince myself I'm not going to get West Nile virus), but more than that, I’ ve been really uninspired. The only idea I’ve had in the last couple of days was a post about how I lack a green thumb and kill all plants I come into contact with. And really, even just typing that sentence, it feels dull dull dull, so I scrapped that idea. Maybe it’s the midsummer doldrums, or I’m just overwhelmed by the heat. This kind of weather does out me into a bit of a funk.

Enough navel-gazing.

I have come to the interesting conclusion that wedding planning makes me feel like my head is going to explode. I now understand completely why people elope. All this work for one night—all I can say is, I better have a damn good time at that party. Once you get engaged, suddenly, you are the “bride.” Every time I talk to anyone lately, they ask me how the wedding planning is going. Most people are surprised at how little I have done. This really shouldn’t be surprising to anyone who knows. I am lazy and well known for my procrastinating skills. But people seem to expect that I’ll overcome all my bad personality traits and suddenly become this fantastically well-organized bride person. Somehow, I just don’t see that happening, people. Once a couch potato, always a couch potato.

I have written anything about celebrities in ages, so with the whole Jude Law/nanny scandal, I really can’t keep myself from commenting. Please check out the cover of this week’s issue of US Weekly. Please tell me this image is photoshopped. If not, I think we have an explanation: this couple is not meant to be. Sienna, you cannot marry a man whose HEAD IS TWICE THE SIZE OF YOUR’S. I think we should all be grateful to Jude’s roving eye for finally pushing US regulars Brad/Angelina, Jessica Simpson, and Lindsay “Skeletor” Lohan off the cover, if only for a week.

8 Comments:

  • At 7/22/05, 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yay! I thought maybe you were sick or something when you didn't comment on the Jude Law Nannygate, and how she's not even that attractive or even sexy. But I guess she's pretty in a 'british' kid of way. Something wrong with a man who marries, has three kids, cheats and gets divorced all before THIRTY.

    And that US Weekly cover is cree-pee, looks like he's holding an infant.

    So which summer movies have you seen, that you can recommend or recommend I avoid? Is Hitchhiker's too scary for me? Mr.& Mrs. Smith fun? Looks kind of um, predictable.

    thanks. -L

     
  • At 7/22/05, 4:00 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    yeah, i *had* to weigh in on the jude law thing. i sort of wonder if this was all some master plot of sadie's. did she hire the cute (not superhot, but not hideous either) nanny and send her to new orleans with the kids because she know from experience that jude has trouble keeping his hands off the help? just wondering. (also, getting caught in bed with the daddy by one of the kids--worst nanny ever).

    i don't know anything about hitchhiker. i think it opened and closed kind of quickly and i missed it completely. i really liked kingdom of heaven. mr. and mrs. smith if totally predictable, but it's fun. you can't think too hard about the plot or you will start to hate it. it's mindless fun. also in that category is wedding crashers, which is very funny. i don't know if that will translate too well to dubbing in german. although the thought of vince vaughn and owen wilson in german is v. funny. batman begins is actually very good. i'm thinking of seeing fantastic four or the island this weekend (i heart ewan mcgregor).

     
  • At 7/22/05, 6:32 PM, Blogger bryc3 said…

    chiming in to say charlie and the chocolate factory is actually very good. we saw it last weekend and laughed out loud at how mean he is to the kids. it also plays on some very funny stereotypes (veruca salt's mom is hysterical, even if her part was small). i'm also more than a bit nervous at how closely i resemble mike teevee, even down to the spiky hair and chuck's. yikes.

    etta, did you pick out a theme for the rehersal dinner rehersal breakfast yet?

     
  • At 7/22/05, 6:36 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    i totally forgot about charlie and the chocolate factory. also on my list.

    i'm thinking the theme will be "what the fuck is wrong with all you people? don't you know i'm getting married tomorrow? why won't you just leave me alone? waaaaahhhhh."

     
  • At 7/22/05, 6:37 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    another possible theme could be "edwardian follies" or "elizabethan hijinks."

     
  • At 7/22/05, 8:21 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    I vote for Wedding Crashers, and Mr. and Mrs. Smith was def. fun. I may see Bad News Bears this weekend. THEN let's talk about "mean to kids," Bryc3.

    Don't get me started about Jude. I could see past the ballerina legs and lollipop head to the pretty, but not past the cheating.

     
  • At 7/22/05, 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    And you may actaully top me as the laziest and most un-enthused wedding planner ever. Quite an honor, I'm awed and humbled.

    But procrastinating actually makes the planning easier. You'll be forced to buy a dress off the rack, no time for obsessing over details like shoes and favors, it will be a matter of what's available on short notice. Eliminates all the overwhelming choices. So laze away, you're actually saving yourself work! -L

     
  • At 7/25/05, 9:08 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    yup, i am just not interested in all the little details. my biggest worry is that i will be so frazzled on the actual day that i won't get to have a good time.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home