tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Some Random Thoughts and Rambling Rants

1. J. J. Abrams, I am so over you.

Lost is driving me freaking crazy. It’s like time doesn’t move on this stupid island. I am really sick of the flashbacks that take up half of every episode, time that could be better spent on some actual action. We’ve had to sit through two long, drawn-out flashbacks this season, neither of which told us anything new about the characters. About 50 minutes of screen time was wasted to drop three clues: 1. Jack’s wife killed Shannon’s dad. 2. Jack has met Desmond before. 3. Michael gave Walt a stuffed polar bear when he was a toddler. Couldn’t these flashbacks be shorter? And now that there are going to be a bunch of new characters, are we going to have to sit through flashbacks for all of them too? (Is there something wrong with me that I find Desmond kind of hot? That uneven Irish accent and crazy stare just do something to me.)

And don’t get me started on Alias. You killed off Vaughn?! Just because Jennifer Garner had to go and get herself knocked up with Ben Affleck’s spawn and apparently doesn’t want to have to deal with ex-boyfriend Michael Vartan, he has to die? Couldn’t Mrs. Affleck just suck it up? Also, it is extremely difficult to believe that he is dead, despite that fact that he was shot about 20 times with a machine gun and he flatlined on-screen. You see, on Alias, no one ever dies. So far, Emily, Sydney, Evil Francie, Sloane (granted, he was only dead for a few minutes), and Irina (twice!) have come back from the dead.

2. Nick and Jessica, Paris and Paris

Blah blah blah. Give me some scurrilous gossip about some celebrities I actually give a shit about.

3. Friendster: no longer an anonymous stalking tool

I am days late in the discussion of this. And there really isn’t much to add. Yes, the new feature whereby you can see who is checking you out sucks, but it is sort of interesting to see who is checking you out. Of course, you can opt to be anonymous, so I’m sure everyone will do that, and this issue will quickly die. Still, I would like to point out that when I emailed a bunch of friends about this, our discussion quickly devolved to a competition over who had the most views. I won with 23 last month. Apparently, this means I am a “slut.” Whatevs, I still have more views.

4. My next of kin

The other day I was cleaning out a backup email account that I rarely use. Somehow, the Nigerian scammers have discovered this address, and they are getting slightly more clever. They now know my last name, so the 42 messages were all tailored to that. Apparently, a doctor or engineer by the name of Larry/John/Robert/Pitt/David/Harry [Tiara] and his entire family died in a car/plane crash. They are willing to give me 20/30/40 percent of his estate as I may be his “next of kin.” Has anyone ever fallen for these messages?

10 Comments:

  • At 10/5/05, 8:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm with you on the Lost thing.

    I no one has viewed my Friendster profile...I guess I am a loser.

    Whoever the people are falling to those email scams deserve what they get. I mean, c'mon...how stupid are you to fall for those things? Jeez...

     
  • At 10/5/05, 9:55 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    well, the friendster count resets at the beginning of the month, and my high count was for last month. i'm back down to zero for october, so i think september may have been a fluke.

     
  • At 10/6/05, 3:22 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    I have five views by three people this month, which is just weird. It's worse than the bookmarks people make visible to you. As for your Oct. count Etta, don't forget people are just catching on and switching to "invisible" viewing. You are probably getting the same traffic, just on the sly.

    I finally got annoyed with Lost last night when they showed part of the underground scene from YET ANOTHER f--king perspective. I am also royally pissed that they seem to have forgotten Jack said "you!" when he saw Desmond (who is Scottish, not Irish) and let Desmond keep wondering if he knew Jack. That bugged me in the extreme. Plus, the Locke backstory was reTARTed. However, I felt somewhat ok when Locke said, after watching the Dharma orientation, "I need to watch that again," and Jack disagreed. Nice little dig at everyone who obsessively TiVos and rewinds and rewatches, JJ. That was funny.

     
  • At 10/6/05, 3:43 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    i actually yelled at the TV when they showed that scene again. how many times do we have to see it? it seems like desmond had a hint of recognition when he first saw jack in the hatch, but then last night, after they leave the hatch, he asks, "do i know you?" or something like that, which was confusing. and desmond thinks the world is about about to end, but he stops to catch up with what's happened in jack's life? then he takes off into the jungle with like two cans of food and a few vials of his meds. he hasn't been outside in 3 years and he just runs off into the jungle? did you read somewhere that he is scottish? his accent sounds like a mix between scottish and irish. part of the "mystery" or just an actor who isn't very good at dialects? desmond is an irish name, but that doesn't mean anything, of course.

    the locke flashback boooorrrring. yes, we know he was pathetic and lonely and SEARCHING FOR SOMETHING TO GIVE HIM MEANING IN LIFE. enough already. and the flashback didn't even seem to have any secret clues, unless i missed them (i was sort of zoning out during those sequences). i wish i could watch the movie again. i noticed the polar bear, but i'm sure there were tons of other clues in it.

    of course, as much as it annoys me, i'm obviously still thinking about it.

     
  • At 10/6/05, 5:36 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    I actually think the actor is Scottish, which can sound like Northern Irish (think Liam Neeson, who's very Northern Irish). I read that somewhere. He's said "Aye" and "Brothah" just like Willy, too. :)

    Hey, at least we have to think about this show, right?? Still way, way better than the other crap on tv, but JJ needs to stop milking it. I won't fanwank this forever.

     
  • At 10/6/05, 5:43 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    i should have known better than to doubt you. after i typed my previous comment, i googled him and found his official web site. he's scottish, and he says the character is too. (yes, i have a problem.) so there you have it. (very true about northern irish accents. when i was in school in the republic of ireland, i had a northern irish prof. who sounded a lot like willie and was unintelligible half of the time.)

    TV that makes you think is rare, so this is a good thing. i think alias has lost a lot of people over the last two years, so jj needs to watch out so the same thing doesn't happen to lost. (still bitter about vaughn.)

     
  • At 10/6/05, 6:19 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    Let's hope Vaughn's "death" is yet another lame fakeout. I mean, I'm still waiting for Lauren to come back. There's gotta be a reason we saw her cold, "dead," unburied body last season. They shot Lena Olin IN THE HEAD and brought her back with a "clone" story.

    Come on, VAUGHN!

     
  • At 10/6/05, 9:41 PM, Blogger bryc3 said…

    are these television shows?

     
  • At 10/6/05, 9:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am so confused my LOST after last night's show that I cannot even begin to express it. I think they are getting a bit out of hand with the clues and stuff.

     
  • At 10/7/05, 8:29 PM, Blogger Big Sky Girl said…

    i don't watch lost anymore, i thought the idea of a one season show was great but i should have known it wouldn't last.

    as for alias, vaughns the body in cryostasis. there is really no way around it. this season is going to be weird but it can't be any worse than season 3.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home