tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Three Days of Couch Time

Three-day weekends are the best. Columbus Day is one of those holidays that many don’t get off, which is cool because I got to walk around yesterday and laugh at people who were working. (I was one of those people at my last couple of jobs, so I feel your pain. We kid because we love.)

I watched a bunch of movies this weekend, including A Mighty Wind for maybe the fifth time. I think Christopher Guest is a genius, and even after multiple viewings, the whole “Kiss at the End of the Rainbow” moment totally gets me every time. I made it through about 20 minutes of Sin City before I fled to the bedroom. I just can’t do that kind of extreme violence. The scene with the trophy heads was just too much for me. It’s too bad I am so squeamish, because the film was pretty interesting and I liked the way it was shot. I just get so repulsed by the violence. For some reason, I had never seen Charlie’s Angels, so I watched it last night. (It came out at a time in my life when I wasn’t going to see a lot of movies because that activity tended to cut into my bar time. One exception was the Cinema Drafthouse, where you could combine two really great activities.) I really liked it. My taste in movies generally leans more toward indie and foreign, but I definitely enjoy the occasional ass-kicking, shit-blows-up kind of movie (and I heart Sam Rockwell). Yesterday, we went to see Flightplan, which was pretty cool in an ass-kicking, shit-blows-up kind of way. My new favorite movie is Confessions of a Dangerous Mind. I owe Lord Kissington for this one, since it’s probably not something I would have thought to watch on my own. He didn’t like it that much, but I did and I just ordered the DVD, so I can follow my usual pattern of watching movies I love over and over again, to the point that I begin to hate them.

I went to the gym on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. This is unheard of for me. Usually, once the weekend begins, inertia takes over. So this was a lot of working out for me. Why am I not thin yet?

9 Comments:

  • At 10/11/05, 7:36 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    I didn't get yesterday off from my real job or my gym job.

    But I LOVE Charlie's Angels. I saw it on opening day, because I wasn't working at the time, and immediately pre-ordered the DVD and bought the soundtrack. Despite multiple watchings, I didn't start to hate it until I watched Charlie's Angels 2. Nowhere near as good.

     
  • At 10/11/05, 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    are you not thin yet either?! why is that? I go to the gym constantly, go to really hard classes and march up and down on that stupid step to *really* annoying disco music, I go to specific ABS classes and I still have a huge gut. what gives? do you suppose we have to *diet* too? are muffins and pretzles possibly not a legitimate dinner?

    more complaining: i can't even rent napoleon dynamite (how many years after it came out) in this backwater. and that flightplan movie looked awful, what did you like? is Boramere hot in it?

     
  • At 10/11/05, 8:24 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    charlie's angels is totally fun. and i have this sam rockwell fixation, so his presence doesn't hurt.

    i have been trying to eat much less. my caloric intake has definitely gone down. but i think i need to up my time at the gym. by the time i get home from work, i don't always have time to work out for very long. maybe increasing the level of exercise will kick-start my metabolism. maybe i should take up smoking again? or coke. it's worked for kate moss (except for that whole losing all her modeling contracts thing).

    i saw a preview for flightplan a couple of months back and it looked decent. i like that it's a movie with an over 40 star and there is no romantic angle. it's all about her, and she's really good. it also has peter sarsgaard in it, and i heart him (really good actor, often plays weird roles). sean bean is kinda hot, but his character isn't very well developed. it's not something i would want to watch over and over, but it was an entertaining two hours. my mind didn't wander, and my butt didn't get sore from sitting for so long. i guess those are my criteria for movies these days. i wasn't all that crazy about napoleon dynamite. it was funny, but i think it had been built up so much, that it just wasn't as great as i expected.

     
  • At 10/12/05, 12:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think all of the blogger women that want to drop some pounds should get together an workout and support each other.

    Supposedly, working out with weights/resistance training helps you burn more calories and tone. Much more than cardio.

    I want to see Flightplan...I'm glad you said it was good.

    The first Charlie's Angels was great! It was fun. The 2nd one sucked the only good thing was Demi.

     
  • At 10/12/05, 8:26 PM, Blogger bryc3 said…

    i ate three quarters of a large pizza from the italian store last night, and washed it down with six budweisers. and then i ate hot dogs and drank beer at lunch today- on the clock, no less! i will not gain one pound. boys 1, girls 0.

     
  • At 10/12/05, 8:29 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    just wait, bryc3. sooner or later, the metabolism slows down. i am jealous that you get to drink beer on the clock.

     
  • At 10/12/05, 9:12 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    chase, maybe i am doing too much cardio and not enough weight training? my gym isn't the best, but it's in my building, which provides me with far more incentive to work out than if i had to actually go outside to get there. i may have to break down and join a real gym, just to get some variety in my workouts.

     
  • At 10/12/05, 9:45 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    I just started doing weights again and am already noticing big improvements. Even if you just buy a couple small pieces of equipment (5lb dumbbells, 10lb medicine ball, resistance band or tube), you can do great weight routines in your apartment while watching TV. I find different routines in Self and a couple of other magazines that are good to do.

    I am even dropping one hour of the five I teach at the gym so I can dedicate more time to weights and solo cardio.

    Anyway.

     
  • At 10/12/05, 10:15 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    i actually have a subscription to Shape magazine. it was one of those sign up for two free issues deals, and i am just too lazy to cancel, so i've been getting it for five years. usually, they just pile up, but the new fitness-oriented me will be going home tonight to plan a whole new weight regimen. i even have some weights at home.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home