tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

New Year, Whoop-dee-do

I took Friday off from work, so I had a 4-day weekend, during which I did little to nothing. I exchanged my duplicate gifts at Borders (yes, I heart Orlando Bloom, but that doesn't mean I need two copies of Pirates of the Caribbean) and bought the new Madonna CD, which everyone refused to buy me for Christmas (interesting thing I’ve discovered about my family—they’ll buy me stuff I want, but only if they “approve” of it. Apparently, Madge does not make the cut.). I watched all six hours of the Pride and Prejudice miniseries and Persuasion (yes, that is a lot of Jane Austen, but see number 17 of my last post). I had two anxiety dreams about the wedding (one of them was relating to stamp anxiety. This is just pathetic. If you are going to have anxiety dreams, at least make them good.). I sat around a lot. It was good.

Last night, I checked my email, and found that an ex-boyfriend (Mr. Ex) had emailed me. He had found out that I was getting married and he wanted to send his congratulations. I have been meaning to email him for ages and let him know, but I just had never gotten around to it (lazy lazy). He apparently found out because we are somehow connected on Amazon.com through our wish lists or something (I have a wedding wish list. Don’t look at it. It’s really kind of a joke.). It was nice of him to wish us well, but this does drive home how much the internet has changed things. Back in the day, one wouldn’t have Amazon to point out all sorts of personal facts about your exes (Wow, she’s getting married. And she still likes Joy Division.).

5 Comments:

  • At 1/3/06, 9:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The internet can be evil like that, I guess!

    A stamp anxiety dream, eh? What did that involve?

     
  • At 1/4/06, 1:06 AM, Blogger Sharkbait said…

    Is that what they are-anxiety dreams?


    Man I think I have them too...

    :-(

    stamps though-very interesting

     
  • At 1/4/06, 2:06 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    The new Madonna CD is kick-ass! Must have!

    Actually, my mother does the same "gift approval" thing. She will ask what books we want (she always gets us one), and then will inform me all my choices were "too depressing," as if I won't read them anyway.

     
  • At 1/4/06, 2:48 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    chase: well, the stamp anxiety dream was really just another wedding anxiety dream. postage goes up in a few days, so i was trying to decide whether i needed to get my invitations out immediately before the postage went up. (i have since realized that the difference in cost will be approximately $2, so it's not an issue.) so i've had stamps on my mind recently. in the dream, i tried to mail my invitations, but they all came back marked "insufficient postage" because they were too heavy for one stamp. on the anxiety dream scale, obviously, this is not all that bad. but it could totally happen, so i'm going to make sure that i know how much postage to add before i send them. also, i have enough wedding anxiety without having to dream about stamps.

    sharkbait: do you have dreams of things going horribly awry in your life and then you wake up in a panic? (e.g., you dream you are back in high school or college, and you suddenly realize that you have to go take an exam, but you've forgotten to go to the class all semester? i've been out of school for a long time now and i STILL have dreams like that.) if so, there may very well be anxiety dreams. sorry, they totally suck.

    kathryn: yes, the madonna CD is great, her best in ages. my mother is totally annoying about what i want. she asks, but then she's never happy with the list. "you really want that? are you sure?"

     
  • At 1/4/06, 3:22 PM, Blogger Sharkbait said…

    Yup -anxiety dreams. Dead on.

    Great, just add it to the list.
    At least I know I am not alone :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home