tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Monday, November 28, 2005

Long Weekend

Despite some anxiety on my part, Thanksgiving wasn’t too bad this year. Lord Kissington and I made it through two dinners with no drama. I had some really amazing pumpkin pie. I was promised leftovers of said pie, but somehow it all got eaten before it ever made it to my place.

I went on a movie kick for the holidays. Wednesday night, we saw Walk the Line. It’s pretty good, but it’s a standard biopic, and the story drags a bit when it’s not about the music. That said, Joaquin Phoenix is amazing and although he doesn’t sound exactly like Johnny Cash, it’s passable.

Before the two dinners on Thursday, we saw Pride and Prejudice. I wasn’t sure if I would like it, since it is one of my favorite books, and I tend to not like adaptations of books I love, but it was excellent. It’s set in 1797, the year the book was written. It wasn’t published until around 1817, and previous adaptations have been set in that time period, the Regency era. It’s only 20 years, but it makes a difference. Apparently, the Jane Austen Society is up in arms about the film being a “sexed-up” version of the book. It’s really not, though. Someone took offense at a scene of a pig with engorged balls. Ummh, it’s the country. You see things like that all the time. Life at the time wasn’t all fancy dresses and dances.

On Friday, I went by myself to see Rent. I hadn’t seen the show, and I didn’t know much about it, other than that it was loosely based on the opera La Boheme, except that everyone has HIV instead of TB. Anyway, I loved it. It was incredibly moving. And I even liked the music (disclaimer: I heart show tunes in a big way, even of the rock opera variety, so this isn’t exactly a shocker.). Right after I left the theater, I bought the soundtrack. Unfortunately, what I bought is only “highlights” from the soundtrack and doesn’t have all the songs. There is a complete version, but they didn’t have it at Borders (totes bitter).

(The downside to all this movie viewing was having to see the trailer for Memoirs of a Geisha three more times (that brings me to approximately 12). This film looks so awful. The preview is just painful. I grind my teeth every time I have to see it.)

I didn’t do much else the rest of the weekend. Slept a lot. Worked out a few times. Ate a ton (what can I say, it was really cold and my body is preparing for the long winter). Yesterday, we ventured out to the mall, which was just a bad bad idea. I wasn’t even xmas shopping yet. I considered buying a really adorable velvet jacket at Anthropologie, but the thing had 20 buttons and I could only get two of them open. I couldn’t justify spending $148 on a jacket that I might never be able to get into. It was cute though.

2 Comments:

  • At 11/28/05, 8:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I didn't even notice the pig balls in P&P, what else bawdy did I miss? Did the audience laugh at any inappropriate times, like maybe at the silly scene where Darcy comes walking out of the mist at daybreak with his shirt unbuttoned? Audience here was roaring! -L

     
  • At 11/28/05, 8:30 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    i think the pig balls were the only bawdy thing. it really didn't seem all that sexed-up to me. the audience was pretty well-behaved, no nervous giggles or anything. not like at walk the line, where an elderly couple kept up a running commentary throughout the movie until they got yelled at. they didn't really seem to get the movie, since they kept making really obvious comments, like, after johnny has popped his 800th pill of the movie, saying "i think he's a drug addict!"

     

Post a Comment

<< Home