tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Monday, November 14, 2005

Your Future Dream Is a Shopping Scheme

1. In the “bad” column, I was sick sick sick all weekend, and I only made it to one of the showers, the baby one. I figured my ailing body could handle tea and scones for a couple of hours. I may have overdone it on the clotted cream though. (Although the name may sound disgusting, it is totally delish.) I had to skip the wedding shower/bachelorette party since I was I figured heavy drinking was probably not the best road to recovery.

2. In the “good” column, Kate Bush has put out her first new album in 12 years. Apparently, she is such a perfectionist that it takes her ages to get each track right. She is amazingly talented, so I can’t begrudge her perfectionism, but 12 years is an awfully long time to wait, Kate. (I have not bought the album yet, what with not really getting out of the house much and all this weekend.)

3. Last night, I watched The Filth and the Fury, a documentary about the Sex Pistols, which was pretty good. Interesting bits: Johnny Rotten breaking down when he talks about Sid Vicious’ downward spiral, and how he wished he could have saved him. As Rotten says, “All’s I can tell you is I could take on England, but I couldn't take on one heroin addict.” (But really, what can you do to save someone who has no interest in being saved?) Steve Jones saying “I listened to Malcolm [McClaren]. I shouldn’t have done that.” The film is directed by Julien Temple, who directed The Great Rock and Roll Swindle, the original Pistols "documentary," which is all McClaren’s point of view. He apparently squandered the Pistols’ money on this project, which was designed to showcase his “genius.” (The band members didn’t see any profits until they took McClaren to court in the late 80s). Maybe Temple felt bad about his involvement with the first film and wanted to give the other side of the story?

I listed to Never Mind the Bullocks on my way to work this morning, and it still holds up, but it got me really riled up and I arrived at work wanting to snarl at everyone. Probably not the best way to start the week. (Totally reminiscing about my teenage crush on the pimply, funny-looking, but charismatic Rotten.)

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home