tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Monday, November 07, 2005

I Like Cake

Friday night, I decided to stay home and do laundry, since I had reached a pretty desperate state and was searching in the depths of my closet for anything clean to wear. I estimate that it had been five weeks since I last did laundry. This is just bad, bad, bad. Laundry seemed to take forever, but at least I was able to go to the gym while my clothes were drying. I watched the Caps game, and I almost fell off the elliptical machine when they scored their second goal. Note to self: no matter how excited you are, it is just not a good idea to try to jump up and down on the gym equipment. When I finally finished my laundry and hung it all over the apartment to dry, Lord Merlin came over and we watched Maid in Manhattan, which was ok and not as dumb as I expected it to be. That Ralph Fiennes sure is pretty, but I prefer him with a British accent.

On Saturday, Lord Kissington and I made an early morning trip to Target (I consider 11 a.m. to be early morning on the weekends), because we had to be at a birthday party at noon (!). I picked up more workout clothes and two supercute Isaac Mizrahi shoes, herringbone tweed flats and velvet strappy wedge things. I can’t really walk in the latter pair, but they are so adorable that I just don’t care.

The birthday party was for the three-year-old daughter of a friend. She was just not into it at all. When I was three, I would have been all over it. You’re the center of attention, you get a huge cake, and people give you all sorts of cool presents. She turned her nose up at the Virginia Woolf cloth doll (courtesy of the Professor and Mary Ann), and she wouldn’t even blow out the candle on her cake. Those of us without children were in the minority among the guests, and we mostly hung out on the deck drinking beer. I decided to listen to what my body was telling (per my yoga teacher’s instructions of last week), and after listening very carefully, I discovered that I have a serious cake deficiency. I remedied that by eating two large pieces of cake with ice cream. This was on top of three kinds of chili (the three year old’s dad is quite a cook) and three beers. So I spent the rest of the day feeling a bit sick to my stomach. It was totally worth it though; that was some of the best birthday cake I’ve ever had.

I thought I was going to have to take my grandmother to church in the afternoon (5:30 Mass), but she decided she didn’t feel up to going so I was off the hook (and I didn’t have to break my tradition of only attending Mass for weddings and funerals). My mother called me and wanted me to try to convince her to go. Really, I am the last person anyone would listen to about attending church, seeing as I never go. I had to attend a family dinner, which was, well, pretty awful. I barely escaped in time to go meet Lord Kissington, bryc3, Baby, and a few others at the Cat. Sadly, even an endless supply of Budweiser wasn’t doing it for me, and I went home pretty early.

I dragged myself out of bed early on Sunday and made it to yoga class with Mary Ann. It pretty much kicked my ass. I haven’t done backbends in ages. But I felt good afterward. Mary Ann and I then had tea and discussed how insane wedding stuff can make you (ok, me). Later in the afternoon, Lord Kissington and I went to see Good Night, and Good Luck. We almost didn’t make it since we were walking, and the Uptown is a bit of a hike from our place. I was determined though, and I dragged poor Kissington on the fastest walk ever, and we made it with five minutes to spare. The film is really good. David Strathairn gives an understated and subtle, but amazing performance. Clooney’s acting is pretty good, and he has definitely proven himself to be an inventive and interesting director. I think I like his first film Confessions of a Dangerous Mind a little bit better, but I was still extremely impressed with Good Night, and Good Luck.

After the movie, I went home and worked out. I completely wore myself out and I got into bed at 9:30. This is unheard of. I usually suffer from chronic insomnia. I actually got up this morning without feeling grumpy and tired. Sadly, there are not enough hours in the day outside of work for me to wear myself out everyday.

9 Comments:

  • At 11/7/05, 6:37 PM, Blogger Photography said…

    hey this is a nice article. thanks

     
  • At 11/7/05, 7:00 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    Sadly, that's why I own about 80 pairs of underwear...

     
  • At 11/7/05, 8:10 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    i am all about underwear. i have lots of clothes, so i can away without doing laundry for a long time, and if you have enough underwear, you can go for weeks.

     
  • At 11/7/05, 8:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    serious, *serious* Target-envy. -L

     
  • At 11/7/05, 10:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Glad you are still enjoying working out and not depriving yourself of what you want (like cake). I need your motivation. I have the time...I have the want...I just don't know what is wrong with me lately. I feel depressed. I know working out would make me feel better...I just need someone to make me get back into the gym so I can feel better.

     
  • At 11/8/05, 3:35 PM, Blogger Lucy said…

    Oooh... Ralph Fiennes. (Droooool.)

    He was the only redeeming factor in terms of the English Patient. HATED the movie; could have watched him be all moody and hot for days on end.

     
  • At 11/8/05, 3:54 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    L, target is one of the things that makes this country so great. no joke. i bought towels, a track suit, and the cutest shoes ever, AND the shoes were on sale. i heart target.

    chase, i totally hear you. it's soooo hard to get motivated, but once i started, i really got going. i was in kind of a funk before i started working out, and going to the gym has really helped my mood a lot. the big problem is just getting started. i don't think i would be so good about going to the gym if it weren't in my building. my boyfriend goes with me sometimes, and that helps to motivate me (although more often than not, i'm the one dragging him), and i have a friend i take yoga classes with. having people in the same boat so to speak really helps.

    rcg, i heart ralph fiennes. i even like his younger brother joseph, but i think ralph is still tops with me. i like him so much i sat through a j-lo flick (not such a fan of j-lo).

     
  • At 11/9/05, 12:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have a gym in my building and at my job...both awesome free of charge gyms. I have no excuse!

     
  • At 11/12/05, 11:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ah, Mr Fiennes... Maid in Manhattan is probably the worst film he's ever starred in. Go and see The Constant Gardener. It's intelligent, it's topical and more importantly, he's extremely yummy in it... :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home