tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Friday, November 04, 2005

Just Say No

On my walk to work this morning, I witnessed several fashion don’t’s that just had me screaming “just say no to bad fashion.” A rundown of the offenders:

1. Multiple flip-flop wearers. Yes, I realize we are having a warm week, but it is November and it’s just time to put the flip-flops away until Spring. Besides, you look ridiculous in a suit and flip-flops.

2. Uggs and business attire. I won’t even get into how over the Ugg trend should be, but why would you ruin that cute little work outfit by pairing it with Uggs? If you want comfortable shoes for your commute to work, buy some cute flats.

3. Short-sleeved shirts with ties. Every time I see a man sporting this look, I hope that he’s just doing as a misguided attempt at “geek chic.” Unfortunately, this is never the case. Ties go with long-sleeved shirts, gentlemen. Let’s lose the short-sleeved dress shirts entirely.

4. Knee socks. You could maybe just get away with this if they were some kind of crazy colored or patterned knee socks, because then it might complement a kooky outfit or something. Even then, it would be only borderline acceptable. But the young woman I saw this morning was wearing brown knee socks. I can only assume that she was acting out some naughty Catholic schoolgirl fantasy, but really, how is that appropriate for the workplace?

Please, can’t we all just say no to bad taste?

7 Comments:

  • At 11/4/05, 3:26 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    Hear, hear, Etta!!

    Open-toed shoes should have been put away no later than September 30. The end.

     
  • At 11/4/05, 9:12 PM, Blogger Lucy said…

    The worst is MEN in flip flops with work attire. I hate flip flops on guys anyway (their feet are just fugly) but the combination of the two is enough to give me a headache.

    Ooh - also, I saw a girl yesterday in my office try to go all Mary-Kate by wearing ACTUAL SNOW BOOTS (not uggs) to work with a skirt. Hello, honey, you just look like Napoleon Dynamite.

     
  • At 11/4/05, 10:01 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    flip-flops are just fine, in the right context. not after sept. 30 and definitely not with any kind of business attire.

    and snow boots?! when it's not snowing?! mary-kate looks like a 10-year-old boy hobo, why would anyone want to emulate her? no, no, no, this just won't do.

     
  • At 11/5/05, 2:03 PM, Blogger Lucy said…

    I agree, Etta- Mary Kate is NOT a fashion icon!!

     
  • At 11/6/05, 3:27 PM, Blogger JordanBaker said…

    I wore flip-flops yesterday, and my ass got handed a bucket full of hubris--cracked open my damned toenail. Auggggh. Never again.

     
  • At 11/7/05, 5:34 PM, Blogger bryc3 said…

    god damn it etta- how dare you do anything to stop women from wearing knee socks?! i guess next you're going to go after pigtails.

    funny about the short sleeved dress shirt (the NASA look, as megan called it). were you hanging out with jeff?

     
  • At 11/11/05, 4:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    OMG my two biggest fashion pet peeves are men in flip flops and short sleeve shirts with ties. Fortunately my husband doesn't do either one ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home