tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Monday, October 31, 2005

I'm So Grumpy

The theme of this weekend: irritation. Yes, I was very grumpy. I spent Friday evening recovering from a migraine, while Lord Kissington was out with some visiting high school friends. I had decided that I could only do one evening of listening to other people’s “remember that time we got really wasted” stories, and it would have to be Saturday. Yes, I’m just a really supportive fy-ance like that. I managed to improve Friday a bit by making an H&M run on my way home from work. I am now the proud owner of the cutest green tweed coat ever. Finally, I can open my coat closet and see something other than a sea of black. I also bought some adorable hot pink suede gloves with ruffles and two big gaudy rings, one in blue and green tones and one in pink. (I am wearing the pink one right now, and I just can’t stop looking at it. It’s so sparkly.)

Saturday afternoon was really fun. Kissington, Lord Merlin, and new friends P and R drove out to Germantown, MD, to pink apples and pumpkins. Apple picking was great, although most of the apples were on the ground. I guess we were a little late in the season. The pumpkin patch was just bizarre. I suppose that if you wait until two days before Halloween, the pickings are going to be a bit slim, but this was like some sort of bizarre post-apocalyptic pumpkin patch. It was mostly just dirt, and of the remaining pumpkins, about two-thirds were smashed or rotted. It was so depressing. I found two unsmashed pumpkins and decided they needed to come home with me to save them from the rampaging little darlings who seemed to be bent on destruction.

Saturday evening turned into a bit of a fiasco. Our evening plan was to stop by a friend’s Halloween/housewarming party and then meet up with the out of town friends at a bar later. I was worn out from all the fresh air, so I took a nap. After about 45 minutes, I sort of half woke up and could hear Kissington talking to someone and sounding exasperated, which is unusual for him. Turns out that the friends are in the car on their way over. No warning, they are 15 minutes away, AND they want to cook in our kitchen. Hell to the no. Kissington tells them this won’t be possible, since we hadn’t planned on having visitors and I am asleep in the bedroom. Some snippiness ensues. I am now totally awake and realize that our bathroom is not fit for human habitation, so I jump out of bad, throw on some clothes, and start scrubbing the toilet. So much fun. We ended up going out to dinner and having to miss the party. I was totally irritated, that being the theme of the weekend I suppose. I bailed after dinner and went home and was in bed early.

Even with the time change, I was up early Sunday morning, which was fine since it meant I could make it to my 10 a.m. yoga class. After that, I felt very zen and no longer irritated. Holding all that irritation in is probably really bad for my spleen, and I’m sure it isn’t doing my chakras any good either. The yoga instructor was talking about listening to your body. As an example, she said, if you are really craving bananas, your body is probably trying to tell you that you need potassium. Right now, I think my body is trying to tell me that I have a serious vanilla pudding deficiency. Yoga makes me very relaxed. So relaxed that I left my mat outside the studio and had to go back and retrieve it. But that’s ok, because I am RELAXED, GODDAMMIT.

In the afternoon, we went to see Elizabethtown. It was ok. There were some things about it that annoyed me, but I am trying to get past them. Much of it takes place in one of those bucolic, overly idealized small towns where everyone is just so darn friendly. Sorry, but I prefer my small town Americana with a touch of David Lynch. Sure, Twin Peaks looks like such a pretty little town, but you don’t even want to know what’s happening under the façade. Orlando Bloom does a very good American accent, and he’s just so pretty. Kirsten Dunst’s character is really annoying, she does a very uneven Southern accent, and she isn’t nearly as pretty as Orlando. I’m a tough audience.

After the movie, we got pizza at Bertucci’s. This is a tough one for me. I usually really hate chain restaurants, but I really like their pizza. And the rolls they bring you while you’re waiting for the pizza are to die for. And yes, I know I don’t need rolls when I am about to eat a huge thing made of dough, but they are just so tasty. Sometimes I feel like I am eating all the carbs the rest of America has given up. Someone’s got to do it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home