tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Thursday, October 13, 2005

I Am So Pumped for Pinter

Congratulations to Harold Pinter on his well-deserved Nobel Prize. I’ve been a devoted fan of Pinter since high schools. I am one of those people who actually enjoys reading plays. I’ve seen several of his plays staged, and I am always mesmerized by the incredible claustrophobic quality of them. If you haven't read any of his work, check out The Dumb Waiter, The Birthday Party, Old Times, and Mountain Language. He is also a screenwriter, responsible for such films as The Go-Between (a favorite of mine) and The French Lieutenant’s Woman.

Last night, we went to the grocery store. When we got home, we realized that quite a few of our grocery items were missing. What’s even stranger is that none of them were on the receipt, yet we both remembered putting them in the cart. At that point, I was too hungry and tired to care, so I just chalked it up to one of the mysteries of the universe. Of course, I live with Agent Mulder, who just couldn’t let it go. He eventually figured out that after hitting the dairy aisle, we must have lost our original cart, picked up an empty cart, and started putting our groceries in it. That sounds plausible, but it does bring up another question: should people this dumb be allowed in the grocery store? It’s bad enough to walk off with someone’s else cart, but neither of us noticed that it was empty. Oy.

Lost didn’t annoy me last night as much as it has the past couple of weeks. On the other hand, it didn’t thrill me either. It wasn’t too surprising to find that Rose’s husband was one of the other group of castaways. She TOLD everyone he was still alive, didn’t she? Again, the flashbacks are getting on my nerves. Yes, we know that winning the lottery ruined Hurley’s life (although that line about “Driveshaft? More like suckshaft” was good), just like we know that Locke has serious issues and that Jack has a savior complex. Enough already. Is it just me, or is Ana Lucia a total bitch? Although, given the coming attractions, maybe Sawyer likes it that way? Some interesting questions were raised in this episode: Are there multiple bunkers on the island, or is the hatch really huge and multi-parted? What happened to the other 18 (?) castaways (I counted 5: African (?) dude, Ana Lucia, blonde chick, Rose’s husband, and another woman, but I might have missed some)? Were they killed by the mysterious "others" or the equally mysterious “monster,” or did they die of the mystery plague? Why is Sawyer’s hair getting longer by the second, yet Jack’s hair hasn’t grown at all? How is all that food still fresh, when it seems that no one has replenished the supply in years? How did Desmond resist the temptation to eat all the candy bars and chips? If there is a working shower, and we saw Desmond use it, why was he so dirty? (Again, despite the dirt, I still found him kind of hot, crazy eyes and all. Yes, I'm weird.)

Is everyone psyched for the opening of Elizabethtown tomorrow? Yeah, ok, probably not. I’ll be honest here--I’m only excited because I am wicked hot in the pants for Orlando Bloom. (My Kingdom of Heaven DVD should be arriving any day now. I really like this film; it’s not just about Orlando.)

5 Comments:

  • At 10/13/05, 8:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, speaking of Nobel prize winners (or maybe it's Pulitzer or Booker--some prize, I don't know) there are a few authors who win all the time that I never got around to reading. By now I've waited so long that the selection is overwhelming and I don't know where to start. Can you (or your readers) recommend something - anything - by any of these authors? They are, in no particular order:

    VS Naipul
    JM Coetzee
    Salman Rushdie
    Alice Munro

    Also regarding the cart, you could be a victim of brats like me who like to secretly put items in other people's carts (like boxes of condoms) just for the fun of it. But more likely scenario than you guys being on crack, is you accidentally *swiched* carts with someone whose selection was similar to yours, so nobody noticed. I bet somebody else went home with your purchases and is freaking out about having Alzheimer's. -L

     
  • At 10/13/05, 11:16 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    i have heard good things about naipul, coetzee, and rushdie, although i haven't read anything by them. i don't know anything about alice munro. i think "a bend in the river" is considered one of naipul's best. michael dirda of the washington post recommends "midnight's children" by rushdie as a good place to start. (btw, dirda's weekly chats on books are a great resource. i don't have the link handy, but i'll dig it up.) as far as nobel laureates go, i really like halldor laxness, from iceland. "independent people" is a great place to start. (i know people are getting sick of me talking about laxness, but i'm just trying to spread the word.)

    i guess the supermarket incident wasn't so bad. i would feel much crazier if i had gotten home and found someone else's food. a long time ago, i accidentally switched carts with someone, but i realized it pretty quickly and rectified the situation. my ex yelled at me for not handling the situation properly. i hadn't realized that there was actually a proper etiquette for handling supermarket cart mixups. what would emily post say?

     
  • At 10/14/05, 3:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    thanks for the tips! Amazon readers seem to agree with you about Laxness-they luv him. You should start a fan blog. -L

     
  • At 10/14/05, 3:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    OH, can't believe you didn't touch the Sienna/James Bond thing. Laughed out loud Nelson-style at that one. You're working on it, right? -L

     
  • At 10/14/05, 3:50 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    honestly, i can't work up an iota of sympathy for sienna at this point. having jude law cheat on her was the best thing that ever happened to her career, and she has been milking it for as much as she can get. i wish she and all the idiot fashion editors who think a woman who wears legging is a "fashion icon" would just jump off a bridge.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home