tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Monday, December 12, 2005

I'm Back, Baby

I took last week off from work to use up some use or lose leave. I have been having trouble with internet access, and on top of that, my computer now doesn’t even want to turn on. Hence, no blogging last week (and also hence, the laptop being tossed across the room).

Here are some highlights (and, sadly, lowlights) of the week:

1. Having to go into work on my first day off. Totes bitter.

2. Saw Rent for the second time. It was just as good as the first time. I am now totally obsessed with Rent. I put the full soundtrack on my Amazon wish list, but I couldn’t wait until Christmas for it, so I had to run out and buy it. (Yes, I realize that I have turned into someone I would usually make fun of.)

3. I finished all my Christmas shopping, except for something for my hard to buy for cousin. What do you get for someone whose main interests are hockey and women of ill repute? (Since I am also a hockey fan, I have totally done the hockey-related gifts to death.)

4. My living room looks like some sort of Christmas explosion hit it. I bought way too much wrapping paper and bright shiny ribbons are everywhere. I prefer to think of it as “festive,” rather than, say, “messy.”

5. My quest for the perfect boots has finally come to an end. I bought them, they were not superexpensive, and I lurve them. Yes, they pinch my toes a bit, but I can live with that because of the aforementioned lurving.

6. I worked out a fair amount. Usually I like to listen to disco-y type music and watch TV at the same time just for some visual stimulation. One day, I was watching the History Channel and a documentary about Auschwitz came on. Listening to Kylie Minogue while watching that just seemed so inappropriate. Also, it was so devastating that I started to tear up, and then I got all phlegmy, which made it hard to breathe. The next day I watched a Christmas episode of The Nanny on Lifetime, since that seemed a lot more lightweight. Unfortunately, that also induced tears. Did I mention that I cry really easily? Of course, tearing up at a documentary about the slaughter of innocent people is understandable. But The Nanny?

7. We saw The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe on Friday. Despite having read this book several times (first when I was seven, most recently a few years back), I somehow missed that it’s an allegory for Christianity. Not being religious, I tend to miss really obvious references to the Jesus. I'm slow that way. Anyways, it's pretty good, even if you are not all into the Jesus.

8. I tried on and rejected several velour tracksuits. This is a look I want to work, but deep down I know it just isn’t happening. It was a very Goldilocks moment. This one is too big. This one is too small. This one makes my ass look like Texas. Sadly, there was no “this one is just right.”

4 Comments:

  • At 12/12/05, 11:18 PM, Blogger Big Sky Girl said…

    My suggestion for a cousin gift is either a prostitute that likes hockey or a gift card to Hookers. You have to go with what works.

    And I feel you on the festive vs. messy argument it's not clutter it's a spontaneous demonstration of festive cheer with improvised artistic decor.

     
  • At 12/12/05, 11:29 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    Welcome back, Etta! If you need help in the tracksuit department, email me. I am the only-slightly-ashamed owner of about 10 Juicy Couture sets, in terry, velour, cashmere...

    I also so have to know what boots you got.

    OH, and I cry super easily, too. Lost episodes, James Blunt songs, for god's sake my eyes welled up when I saw the King Kong ad with the instrumental parts of Coldplay "Fix You." I hear ya.

     
  • At 12/13/05, 4:11 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    bb: where exactly would i find a hockey-loving hooker? i guess they don't have gift cards?

    i really like "a spontaneous demonstration of festive cheer with improvised artistic decor." that sounds so much better. i wrapped most of the presents last night, so the chaos is bit more controlled and looks extremely festive.

    k: yes, i need help with the tracksuit issue. my other tracksuit is a strictly functional one, so i am lost in the fancy tracksuit milieu. i really haven't done any research. just saw some i liked at loehmann's that were super-cheap, but just didn't work.

    the boots are black and kind of clunky. they look a little bit like motorcycle boots, only more girly. they don't have any chains or anything. they are sort of hard to describe, but i was looking for something less pointy than all my other boots (i still wear the pointy ones too). i had seen a woman wearing really cool boots when i saw harry potter and i was looking for something like her's, and these are very close. the only problem is that they say "rocket dog" in orange right at the top of each boot. i think boot polish should cover it up.

    i teared up yesterday when i was walking home and listening to the "rent" soundtrack. this crying jag has got to stop.

     
  • At 12/14/05, 7:39 PM, Blogger DC Cookie said…

    I hate anyone and everyone who has finished (or even started for that matter) Christmas shopping. I have a long day ahead of me on Sunday...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home