tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Short Notes

1. Yesterday, I went to Au Bon Pain to pick up a sandwich for lunch. I was in a hurry, so I grabbed a pre-made sandwich. I got back to office, unwrapped, and realized that it had extra bread. It was a regular sandwich configuration: bread, meat, cheese, lettuce and tomato, bread. And then another slice of bread on top of that. It was like they tried to make a club sandwich, but forgot to fill in the second later. I removed the extra slice of bread. A half-hour later, I ate it. I have no self-control.

2. Waking up in the middle of the night from a disturbing dream sucks. What sucks even worse is falling back to sleep and re-entering the same shitty dream. It involved the possibility of being evicted from an apartment I no longer live in, a huge amount of cheap sci-fi paperbacks I had never seen before, and my favorite childhood doll being infested with mice. Shudder.

3. My first attempt at getting out of jury duty failed. Five weeks. Oh fuck.

4. In what has been an otherwise shitty week, Arcade Fire tickets fell into my lap, somewhat mitigating my extreme bitterness toward TicketMaster and their image verification nonsense. Apparently, I am visually impaired as I had to type approximately 18 verification codes before being allowed to get to the point at which they told me “no tickets available.” Grr.

5. Last night, I was walking through Dupont Circle and this amazing New Orleans-style jazz band was playing. There were dozens of people listening, and it made me really happy, because this same band is out there every year as soon as the weather gets nice. I like the sense of continuity.

6. I’ve celebrated two anniversaries recently. My first wedding anniversary was this weekend. We made it through a year. Just five more and we’ll beat my parents’ record. Of course, we have many more years to equal his parents’ record (40 years and counting). I think we’re doing pretty well, and we only threaten to divorce each other once or twice a week. The latest grounds for divorce: his thinking that the Pixies’ version of “Head On” is better than the Jesus and Mary Chain version, which is clearly crazy talk.

The other anniversary was my second blogiversary, which passed unnoticed by me last month. I celebrated that by posting hardly at all. And writing shitty numbered posts.


Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • At 3/15/07, 12:37 PM, Blogger JordanBaker said…

    five weeks of jury duty? Shit, I only managed to get ten days out of a drug related homicide.

     
  • At 3/15/07, 12:40 PM, Blogger Hammer said…

    his thinking that the Pixies’ version of “Head On” is better than the Jesus and Mary Chain version, which is clearly crazy talk

    You know what? That IS crazy talk.

     
  • At 3/15/07, 2:33 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    Happy anniversary to you and Lord Kissington! I can't believe the wedding was only a year ago...

     
  • At 3/16/07, 11:39 AM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    jb: yup, five weeks. it's federal, so i'm guessing it's something complicated and boring.

    hammer: thank you for the affirmation. this is what i keep telling him, but it's not sinking in.

    k: thanks! it's really flown by.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home