tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Friday, January 13, 2006

Packing Light

Since I’ll be traveling soon, I’ve been thinking about packing and luggage. I am a very anal packer (hmmh, I might want to rephrase that), and I make tons of lists beforehand and come up with elaborate schemes for maximizing space. Still, I always end up overpacking. This time, I am determined to pack light. We’ll be traveling for 12 days and visiting three different cities, so we just can’t carry too much. We are in the market for some new luggage. Lord Kissington’s luggage is old and sad; I really only have a small roller bag. Thus, I am planning to add a luggage set to our Amazon wedding registry, in hopes that someone will buy it as a shower gift, so we’ll have it before the wedding. Here is the set I would really like. Here is the one we will probably end up getting (in black or perhaps red). Since we apartment-dwelling types have only limited storage space, I can really only justify getting one set for us to share. And as comfortable as Lord Kissington is with his masculinity, he has drawn the line at hot pink luggage. I can live with this, but it’s hard to give up on the hot pink luggage, because I would look so damn cute with this adorable set.

Picture this: I am sitting at the Barcelona airport bar, surrounded by my adorable hot pink luggage, wearing a beret to show solidarity with the Basques*, and drinking a delightful glass of Verdejo. Prince Felipe** walks by with a slew of bodyguards, his eye is caught by my luggage, and his glance falls upon me. “If only I had met this stunner before marrying the hook-nosed divorcee***,” he thinks, as he spies the newly minted wedding ring on my hand and gives an audible sigh. Hmmh, perhaps one more reason for Lord Kissington to veto the hot pink set.

*One of the thousands of random facts rolling around in my brain: the Basques invented the beret.
**Heir to the throne of Spain. Decent looking for a man, wildly handsome for a royal.
***Not that there is anything wrong with being a divorcee of course, but I find it curious that the future king, whose predecessors were known as “their most Catholic majesties,” was allowed to marry a divorced woman in a Catholic ceremony (something normally completely frowned upon by the Church) on what basically amounts to a technicality. Just sayin’, s’all.

3 Comments:

  • At 1/13/06, 5:09 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    Lord Kissington may be the least likely "hot pink lugage guy" alive. I mean, he's tolerant and open-minded and all, but LK dragging a hot pink wheelie bag? Not happening...

    And don't you have, I dunno, two months to worry about this?

     
  • At 1/13/06, 5:21 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    this is true. and yes, i have loads of time to worry about this, but all the other stuff i have to worry about for the wedding is migraine-inducing, so i have decided to focus on luggage. luggage is safe, luggage makes me feel good. no need for the fetal position. also, my mother has no opinion whatsoever about luggage, so it's a safe topic of conversation.

     
  • At 1/13/06, 5:58 PM, Blogger Nicole said…

    I'm an obsessive overpacker too, despite being a seasoned traveler. 3 days in Florida, 5 weeks in Italy, doesn't matter, I pack as if I'm leaving forever. What if I forget something, what if it rains, what if it snows, or there's a heat wave, comfortable shoes, cute shoes, just because I'm a tourist I don't want to look like one, but oh dear, we're going to take pictures so I have to look good on film.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home