tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Thursday, April 20, 2006

My Dating Tip (Which You Probably Won't Want to Follow)

Being that I was never very good at it, I am the last person who should be giving anyone dating tips, unless it’s for some sort of “How to Make Sure Your First Date Is Your Last Date” self-help book. But I did have one rule in my dating days that seemed to work for me.

The other night I was at Toledo Lounge and I got to reminiscing about some previous visits there. When I mentioned that I had gone on a couple of dates at Toledo Lounge, my companions were a bit surprised. But I’ve always had this thing about making dates meet me at dive bars. This worked for me, for several reasons:

1. I spend a lot of time at dive bars, so it was a good idea to test out a date’s reaction. If he winced at a table that wasn’t spotless or looked askance at the clientele, he probably wasn’t the man for me.
2. Dive bars are cheap. If the guy pays for a couple of $4 rail drinks, there is a lot less pressure than he pays for several overpriced martinis. (Please understand that I am not saying that just because some guys buys you drinks, you are under any obligation to do anything. But spending 4 bucks a drink versus 8 or more takes some pressure off.)
3. It keeps things low key for a first date. You don’t have to dress up for a dive bar, so you won’t look like you’re trying too hard. Also, the lighting is likely to be dim, which can hide a lot of faults (which is good if you’re trying to hide a pimple, but bad if you really want to get a good look at your date).

Now this rule won’t work for everyone (for starters, you have to like dive bars), but I found that it was a pretty good one for me. One example: About 5 years ago, I was asked out for drinks by a young man. I wasn’t particularly interested, but it was one of those friend-of-a-friend sort of things where it’s hard to say no. He let me pick the bar, so I suggested Toledo Lounge, mostly because it was convenient for me. He showed up wearing a suit (sans tie). I would have just assumed that he came from work, but I knew that wasn't the case. So he actually put on a suit to meet me for a drink at a dive bar. Way too much effort. I ordered a vodka and tonic. He ordered the same, but wanted it made with Stoli. This is just all wrong for a dive bar. You drink rail. That’s the way it is. (Yes, I appreciate good vodka very much, but I firmly believe that if you’re mixing it with tonic, it really doesn’t matter what kind of vodka you use.)

We had a pleasant enough time, but there was nothing there on my part. I just couldn’t see anything happening. (And the answer to The Question was definitely “no.”) This was backed up a few days later when in response to an email asking me to go out to dinner, I said that I wasn’t looking to date anyone at that point or something like that. He sent me a nasty message back along the lines of “Well, I didn’t want to date you anyway.” (Which begs the question of why he asked me out on the first place, but whatever.)

One other reason dive bars are good: I met my future husband in one.


1 Comments:

  • At 4/24/06, 12:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "How To Approach Any Woman, Anywhere And Know Exactly What To Say To Get Her To Give You Her Number And Go On A Date With You - NOW"

    Never before has a woman thrown out the rulebook and exposed every last intimate secret about what it takes to get a great woman. These secrets are vital to your success and - it's important that you understand them to get you into the lives, hearts and beds of beautiful women!
    Are you tired of women passing you by without a second glance?

    Are you fed up with being alone or having to settle for ugly or average looking women?

    Are you annoyed how the same few guys seem to get all the great girls when you don't get any?

    Are you scared of the dating scene and unsure how to approach and talk to women?

    You're not alone... It seems the only guys who get lucky these days are the ones who know something you don't.

    The modern day Casanovas and studs understand what a woman wants and they know how to manipulate a woman to their sexual advantage.

    The Biggest MYTH Is That You Have To Be Good-Looking, Rich Or Well Endowed To Get A Woman...
    THIS IS SIMPLY NOT TRUE!

    It does NOT matter if you are ugly, bald or fat!

    It does NOT matter what age you are - 18 or 80!

    It does NOT matter if you have a low paying job!

    The SECRETS You Are Going To Learn Today Will Have You In Total Control Of Every Female Encounter

    Here is a sample of what you will learn:
    Use my "ABCs of Appearances and Anxiety" system to redesign yourself and make women who wouldn't look at you before, stop dead in their tracks with jaw dropping ease!


    My "Mental Spotlight Positioning" technique will enable you to overcome any shyness or reservedness so that you'll be able storm into the lives of beautiful women with ease and regularity!


    Discover 5 Places where you'll find the hottest dates who are receptive to your advances - sites that almost every other guy hasn't yet considered!


    When you unveil my "Attitude is Everything" approach you'll see your success rate with first meetings double overnight!


    My "Scoping" technique will give you even more women than you knew existed.


    My unique "FFIMD" (Fear of Foot in Mouth Disease) method will tell you what you NEED to know before approaching a woman.


    What to look for and how you can tell, even without talking to the girl, if she's up for it or not.


    Read her body language and have ultimate power by picking up on what she's thinking but not saying.


    Appear to read her thoughts simply by glancing in her direction - cluing you into exactly what she's up to!


    Learn the best conversation starters, and what topics to avoid to make every conversation you have a magical experience - so that she will never be bored talking to you again.


    I'll show you my exclusive romantic evening secret that will take any relationship from casual dating to full blown steamy (and regular) sex in just one night. No guy could have envisioned this scenario, but it works great with EVERY single woman and can be used over and over again!


    Learn the 4 best places to take a girl on a date, to guarantee you'll see her again. They don't even cost as much as a meal at a cheap restaurant, but they are infinitely more enjoyable for her!


    How to plan the perfect date and avoid all the "clichés" that men think are crafty, but are really the biggest mistakes that you should avoid at all costs!


    How to get into one-night stands with ease, and get out of them even easier, should you need to - without anyone getting hurt.


    Learn my "sex in the sack" pleasure principles women wish you knew - become the best lover she's ever had!


    Discover how to take a relationship to the next level, and have your woman wanting it even more than you do.


    You'll learn my "Ten Commandments to Win Over a Woman" techniques that will make sure your success with women is catapulted from today onwards.

    I'll show you how to become the man that women REALLY want - really quickly - something you could never learn from a man!

    I'm going to show you -

    How to attract beautiful women

    How to seduce a woman easily and properly

    How to turn women on in seconds

    How to get women into bed as often as you like

    Transform yourself into a guy women want, even if you are poor or ugly

    Learn how to use body language to your advantage

    Develop a tractor beam personality that draws women to you

    Boost your charisma 200% instantly
    Develop the ultra confidence of a superstar

    Become a man that women yearn to sleep with

    Become a fluid conversationalist that women love spending time with

    How to make that girl you really want, fall in love with you

    Learn about Internet dating and how to tap a never ending supply of great women

    How to create bio-electric sexual chemistry

    Get women to pick you up

    How to understand women and use it to your sexual advantage

    DISCOVER THE SIMPLE YET POWERFUL TECHNIQUES THAT WILL GET YOU MORE WOMEN, MORE FUN AND MORE SEX - TODAY!

    Get my secrets here -
    http://www.guygetsgirl.com/?hop=aspguyz

     

Post a Comment

<< Home