tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Thank You for the Lovely, Ummh, Thing

As any non-etiquettely-challenged bride will tell you, thank you notes are a big part of the wedding process. I am currently drowning in thank you notes. In the beginning, I was doing really well. Anyone who sent a gift before the wedding (unless it arrived the day before the wedding) received a thank you note sent out before the wedding*. Since the flow of gifts was steady, but not overwhelming, this went pretty well, and I was only writing a few a week, so I could still come up with clever comments for each.

But after the wedding came the deluge. I have about 50 notes to write at the moment. I’ve managed to do 10 in the last two days, but it’s getting harder and harder. How many different ways are there to say “thank you for the lovely gift. We’re so glad you could come to our wedding.” (I refuse to say “We’re so glad you could share our special day.” It’s just way too bridezilla.) So, basically, everyone is getting more or less the same note, with a few words changed. For everyone who sent an actual gift, it’s a little easier, because you can say something like “Thank you so much for the lovely wine glasses. Lord Kissington and I are sure to get a lot of use out of them because we both have drinking problems.” Or perhaps something slightly more appropriate like “Thank you so much for the lovely wine glasses. Lord Kissington and I are looking forward to using them at the next meeting of our wine tasting group.” For people who gave cash or checks, it’s a little harder, since you can’t really make a comment on money (“Thank you so much for your generous gift. Those 100 dollar bills were especially crisp and had that lovely new money smell.”), but I just try to convey my extreme gratitude to them for giving us money.

The biggest problem of all in the thank you note world is writing a note for gift when you have no idea what the gift is. We received a lovely antique something or other from friends of my father. It’s quite delightful, but I haven’t the faintest idea what it is. So, how do I write a polite note? Do I try to guess what it is? “Thank you for the delightful, ermm, Victorian tea canister?” (My mother’s guess) Or do I go with purposefully vague? “Thank you for the lovely gift. Lord Kissington and I are sure to get a lot of use out of it.” Or maybe I should post a picture and people can guess what it is? Oh, the dilemmas of thank you notes.

*I consulted several etiquette sources about whether it is permissible to send thank you notes before the wedding. None specified anything as to pre/post-wedding timing. Miss Manners had one question from someone who complained about getting a thank you note too early, and she basically told them to get over it, and that seeing as thank you notes are becoming a rarity, did the letter writer really want to complain about receiving a note in such a timely fashion? Snap. All sources said that thank you notes should be sent promptly, so that’s what I have tried to achieve.

7 Comments:

  • At 4/5/06, 4:08 PM, Blogger Big Sky Girl said…

    First off, if I got a note thanking me for crisp hundreds, I'd laugh my ass off.

    Second, post the picture. My family watches enough antiques roadshow that someone should be able to tell you what it is. And if it is metal, is there a mark of some kind on it. Anything at all will be helpful.

    What can I say, I love a good mystery.

     
  • At 4/5/06, 4:57 PM, Blogger Jamy said…

    I've gotten one of those early thank you notes and I was impressed (and slightly amused) by the speed of the bride.

    I say it's fine if all your thank you notes are more or less the same. It's not as though the recipients are going to get together and compare them.

    Also, if you don't know what it is--say that! They'll get a laugh out of it (hopefully). Or maybe you can ask what it's called and request suggestions as to use.

    Please post a picture; I'm curious.

     
  • At 4/5/06, 5:31 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    I got my thank-you note the day of the ceremony, and your kind comment about being glad I could join you made me extra excited about attending. Perfect timing.

    Of course, I'm probably the one in 150 for whom that occurred.

     
  • At 4/5/06, 10:55 PM, Blogger JordanBaker said…

    For mystery objects, I'd suggest "Thank you for your generous and unique gift. We've never seen one quite like it, and look forward to enjoying it with you the next time we're all together."

    This works unless what they gave you is some sort of mysterioso sex toy, in which case you've probably just either skeeved them out or made their day.

    For cash, I advocate "thank you for the generous gift of cash. Yesterday I took it and all the other generous gifts of cash we received, threw them all on the bed, and rolled around in them. I've always wanted to do that, so thanks for helping me make my special dream come true!"

     
  • At 4/6/06, 2:26 PM, Blogger Sharkbait said…

    I love this. When I get married, I will be sure to consult you on all of this, because I will certainly run out of things to say.

    Thanking for the crisp dinero is hysterical.

     
  • At 4/6/06, 2:39 PM, Blogger Megarita said…

    I think JB's note would work best, but do post a picture of the mystery object! Leave it to the Victorians to make something freaky.

     
  • At 4/6/06, 3:17 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    miss independent: i will post a pic tomorrow. maybe someone will know exactly what it is. i'm very curious.

    jamy: at first, i felt bad about using a sort of cookie cutter thank you note, but with the volume i have to write, i'm pretty much over that.

    kathryn: that was perfect timing!

    jb: i love your suggestion. my only concern is that i've been reading a lot lately about how the victorians weren't as prudish as generally thought, and what if this is some sort of victorian dildo stand or something? unlikely, but you never know. and i totally want to roll around in a bed of cash. sadly, i didn't get enough to really take advantage of that experience.

    sharkbait: i have loads of advice about getting married. most of it involves trying not to lose your mind over it.

    megarita: i'll post a pic tomorrow. i'm afraid it will turn out to be something really dull though. all this buildup will fizzle out if it really is a victorian tea holder.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home