tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Random Notes

*In an attempt at buying some much needed new summer shoes, I looked at approximately 200 pairs on Sunday. I saw almost nothing that I wanted. The only pair I wanted was $250, and I just couldn’t justify spending that much on a perfectly plain pair of flats (I’m frivolous, but not that frivolous).
*By Sunday evening, I was in a weird funk (I get that way on Sundays sometimes), so Lord Kissington dragged me out for a walk and then bought me a BLT and some beers, which made things a lot better. He’s good like that.
*Recent email recommendations from Amazon include a Toto album and The War of the Worlds. Apparently, Amazon does not understand that I only bought that Toto Superhits CD for its ironic value and they certainly don’t get my hatred for all things Tom Cruise.
*Allergies are kicking my ass, and I can’t seem to focus on anything. This blows, and it makes it hard to write a coherent post.
*I really really can’t stand Plum Sykes, because she says things like this (in reference to being pregnant): “I used to be concave. Now I’m just thin.” If you have no idea who Plum Sykes is, consider yourself lucky.
*I had my hair done the other day and it’s still superstraight. I love it, but I can never manage to get it to look this good on my own. I find myself doing a lot of hairflipping.
*I read this long piece on the Duke rape case in Newsweek, and I was struck by the fact that they refer to the accuser and the other woman as “women,” but they refer to the lacrosse players as “boys.” Ummh, aren’t they all at least 18 and thus can be charged as adults? Let’s call them men, please. Calling the victim a woman, while referring to the alleged perpetrators as boys just smacks of editorializing.

2 Comments:

  • At 4/26/06, 4:20 AM, Blogger Big Sky Girl said…

    Some publications have the "under 21" rule. If the kids aren't yet 21 then they are boys/girls. I'm not sure how it got started but the AP stylebook reccomendation leaves room for crazy internal policies.

     
  • At 4/26/06, 5:37 PM, Blogger bryc3 said…

    god damn it, i google "under 21" and "publication" and this is what i come up with?

    thanks a lot, etta.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home