tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

End Notes

*My recent efforts to cut back on sugar consumption have left me with a red hot jones for sugar of any kind. I am particularly craving cake right now. The delicious, sugary, made with lard kind you get at grocery store bakeries. My mother has the top layer of our wedding cake in her freezer. She would very much like me to retrieve it, but my freezer is full of bags of ice and bottles of vodka (because I like to be ready for anything, if anything means an impromptu party where you will need a lot of ice and vodka). I am now considering retrieving it to satisfy my sugar cravings, but will I regret this on my first anniversary? Or will I not actually need a slice of cake to remember the wedding?

*The other night I assured someone (not an amputee) of my belief that being an amputee would not necessarily condemn you to only having relationships with freaky fetishists who dig amputees and I used Paul McCartney’s wife Heather as an example. Sadly, Paul and Heather have just announced that they are divorcing. The lesson here: I don’t know what I’m talking about.

*Can anyone recommend any lightweight but not too dumb books for me to bring on my business trip to Tampa this weekend? I am looking for fluffy, but not totally stupid, absorbing enough to keep my mind off the possibility of the plane crashing, but not so involving that I have to think too much. I enjoy mysteries and thrillers when traveling, but nothing too scary or serial killer oriented, because I don’t want to have to keep checking under the bed to make sure that the Tampa Slicer isn’t hiding under there. I was thinking of reading Bergdorf Blondes, but I am loathe to contribute even a few pennies to the burgeoning coffers of Plum Sykes.

*Bloggers are just dropping like flies lately. If you all stop writing, what am I supposed to do with my day? And don’t just tell me to find new blogs. I’m a creature of habit, and I was comfortable with you all. New blogs are unfamiliar. But if you do have any recommendations, I would love to have them.

4 Comments:

  • At 5/17/06, 9:32 PM, Blogger schadenfreude said…

    I recommend anything by Nick Hornby for light, but not dumb reading. A Long Way Down is perfect, even though it's about suicide it's not at all depressing.

    Also What Was She Thinking: Notes on a Scandal by Zoe Heller (nominated for the Booker prize in 2003, the year the mediocre Vernon God Little won) is a good easy read.

    Let us know what you pick.

     
  • At 5/18/06, 4:54 AM, Blogger Cupcake Blonde said…

    Stay away from the Blondes book! I read it and it was horrible!

    I really like the Shopaholic series, they are light and fun, but I just read one that if you've ever had any sort of pet at all, you'll love. It's called Marley and Me and it is about a man and his dog. very sweet, made me cry and laugh all at once!

    Oh, and my cake top was still great after one year and a trip across the country later...

     
  • At 5/18/06, 2:02 PM, Blogger JordanBaker said…

    I actually thought "damn. There goes my last chance for post amputation happiness" when I heard about Sir Paul and his wife.

    And I think the best fluff by far is written by Rebecca Campbell, Lisa Jewell and Jenny Colgan. Both of Campbell's books are out here, Slave to Fashion is chick-fic of such awesome proportions that I actually taught it in an intro Women's Lit class. I think most of Jewell's books are available in the U.S. already (except Vince and Joy, the most recent); Colgan's are harder to find here (I think only 3 of the 5 have been published here--Amanda's Wedding, which may be one of the greatest books ever, and probably a great post-wedding book, Talking to Addison (meh), and The Boy I Loved Before (cute if a bit contrived). Her latest, Where Have All the Boys Gone? is worth ordering from amazon.co.uk.

    And for mysteries, I always revert back to Josephine Tey.

     
  • At 5/19/06, 5:26 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    thanks so much for the suggestions, everyone. i've taken a few of them (see today's post).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home