tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Monday, May 01, 2006

It’s a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

After eating my weight in sweets at a bridal tea on Saturday afternoon, I tried to avoid a sugar coma by dragging Lord Kissington out for a long walk. It was a gorgeous day and we wandered all over the place, heading into the zoo through the back entrance, battling 5000 children to get to the front entrance, and then basically making a big circle and ending up back in our neighborhood. As we were nearing home, I saw a couple of things that gave me pause.

The fake flower garden

I wasn’t seeing this for the first time, but every time I see it, I stop and stare. Next to a small apartment building, there’s a tiny yard/patch of grass (probably just a bit too small to have been snatched up to build luxury condos, which is why it’s still there). Someone has created a flower garden there. They’ve landscaped little circular patches and put up those mini fences that are like 8 inches high. But the kicker is that all the flowers are plastic. Big, fat, obviously plastic flowers. So someone has gone to all the trouble to create a garden with fake flowers. I don’t know if I love it or hate it. As Lord Kissington pointed out, “At least the flowers are always in bloom.”

The double bicycle

No, not a bicycle built for two, but a bicycle of the likes of which I’ve never seen before. It was basically a normal bike, with a whole other bike frame built on top of it, so the rider was about 8 feet off the ground. It was really weird. How can it be stable? Is this some new revolution in bikes that I’ve missed out on?

5 Comments:

  • At 5/1/06, 8:27 PM, Blogger schadenfreude said…

    Please, use your fancy digital camera to document these! I can't imagine what a double bike would look like, but I think I know the fake flowers you're talking about.

     
  • At 5/2/06, 2:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    For the double bike(more commonly known as tall bikes):
    http://jschumacher.typepad.com/photos/abandoned_bikes/tall_bike.html

     
  • At 5/2/06, 4:09 PM, Blogger bryc3 said…

    so the other day i was walking home from work and i saw these two big muscular thug dudes yelling at each other. then they started wrestling a bit, grabbing each other and trying to gain leverage. and all the while they're shouting profanity i can hear over my ipod.

    they finally stop to take a break and stare at each other, still caught in an arm lock. they stop shouting, and start making out so passionately that i can see the one guy's tongue in the other guy's mouth. then they walk away hand in hand.

    does it make me gay if i'm wondering what the make up sex was like when they got home?

     
  • At 5/2/06, 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've never seen a bike like that...sounds cool though.
    As far the gardenl, well, your husband has a point...at least the flowers are always in bloom.

    Bryc3....are you for real? Did that really happen?

     
  • At 5/3/06, 3:34 PM, Blogger bryc3 said…

    lol, i swear to god it did. it was on 12th street- i want to say near the intersection of new york and 12th?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home