tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Friday, August 18, 2006

And Now Back to Our Regularly Scheduled Shallowness

After dealing with serious matters for two whole days, perhaps a return to frivolity is in order. I had lunch with my father today, and shortly after we received our food, a couple was seated at the table next to us. Because I am obsessed with what other people wear, I took a look at the man out of the corner of my eye. At first glance, he appeared to be wearing a classic preppie look (madras shorts, button-down shirt, and loafers without socks), but upon further inspection, I noticed that there were several things off about the whole ensemble. The button-down was French blue and the buttons were undone (negating the whole point of a button-down, no?), the madras shorts didn’t match the shirt and were rather ill-fitting (preppie clothes should always fit and looked pressed and clean), and the loafers were dress loafers with gold buckles and thus really not appropriate for sockless casual wear. Then it hit me. From the chest down, he was trying for preppie, but from the chest up, he was all guido*. The shirt was unbuttoned halfway down his chest and he was wearing a big gold cross on a chain. I’ve never really seen such a unique hybrid of preppie meets Jersey. What’s next? A wife beater with pressed khakis? A popped-collar polo with heavy gold chains? Or perhaps a velour track suit with top-siders? The mind reels at the possibilities.

*Please don’t take offense at the term. I discussed the use of it with Lord Kissington, who is part Italian, and he didn't have a problem with it. Also, the word has such a vivid connotation. It’s a style more than an ethnic description.

6 Comments:

  • At 8/19/06, 7:13 AM, Blogger Cupcake Blonde said…

    My husband, who is also Italian, uses that word to describe himself so do not fret!

    I found myself not voting this year because I didn't like ANYONE so I figured if they all were terribly who got nominated wouldn't make a difference. Now for the Primaries, I will attempt to make an educated decision based on who decides to call me with pre-recorded messages and bog me down at work with redoing their stupid commercials over and over because Oooo we forgot to put our website on there!

     
  • At 8/21/06, 12:40 PM, Blogger JordanBaker said…

    I was just going to say that if I ever have children, they will doubtless be preppy little guidos. But I hope they do a better job of hybridizing than that guy did.

    I suppose I should clarify, though, that I am Italian and I don't find "guido" offensive. . . most of the time. It's all about the intent with which it's said, and it's far less offensive than a lot of other things Italians have been called (WOP, Dago, Guinea. . .I could go on, but you get the point).

     
  • At 8/21/06, 8:14 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    vp: it's pretty bad when i am basically deciding on who to vote for by figuring out which candidate is the least douchebaggy.

    misty: in my 18 months of blogging you're the first person i've offended. i don't know whether to be excited or sad.

    jb: i am sure your possible children would be much better dressed than this guy.

    i thought about using a different term, but none of the possibilities had the same visual impact for me. and for the record, i've seen many men one might call guido who were not of italian descent. bad taste transcends ethnicity.

     
  • At 8/21/06, 8:41 PM, Blogger bryc3 said…

    well i've never met my father, so i take offense to other people using their own fathers as the basis for their criticism.

     
  • At 8/22/06, 1:26 PM, Blogger JordanBaker said…

    I'm offended at bryc3 for being offended.

     
  • At 8/22/06, 2:39 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    bryc3: zing!

    jb: double zing!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home