tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Fashion Trends I Just Cannot Get Behind

I’m actually enjoying fashion at the moment. There are tons of clothes I like out there, and I’ve been shopping quite a bit lately and not finding it the frustrating experience that I usually do. There are of course some trends I can’t really get into, like skinny jeans, but if you have legs like Kate Moss, then I figure what the hell.

But there are two trends that I just cannot get behind.

1. Ankle boots worn with skirts and dresses. This look is everywhere* at the moment, and it makes me nuts. Unless you have superskinny, extralong legs, this is just not a flattering look. It tends to cut the leg off at an awkward point and makes woman look short and stumpy. I’m short enough already; I don’t need shoes that add to the effect. So, I’ll be wearing knee high boots with my skirts and dresses.

2. Leggings. Where do I even begin with leggings. There are so many problems here. First of all, I wore them the last time they were in, and that’s probably reason enough to never touch them again. Also, I have a bad throw-up-a-little-in-your-mouth kind of memory about leggings. At my first job out of college, there was a woman who used to wear leggings to work every day, years past the point where they were considered even remotely fashionable. She wore them in place of pants, not underneath a skirt. She was very overweight. And did I mention that the leggings were white and two sizes too small for her? So, when I see even a very skinny woman wearing tasteful black leggings, all I can think of is this woman. And besides, Lindsay Lohan has totally been rocking the leggings lately, and she’s not really someone whose fashion sense I want to emulate.

3 Comments:

  • At 10/13/06, 1:15 PM, Blogger JordanBaker said…

    The recycling of so much '80's fashion has made me quite aware of how wise my mother was not to let me wear it the first time around.

     
  • At 10/13/06, 2:24 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    jb: your mother is a wise woman.

     
  • At 10/26/06, 9:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ugh, I can't stand the ankly boot with skirts craze. Unless you 6 feet tall, this look is not attractive. May this look be a flash in the pan that will not return next year.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home