tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Thursday, August 31, 2006

It Is Just Too Early in the Morning for This

This day really hasn’t been going so well. After several insomnia-free weeks, it's back with a vengeance. After a less than optimal night of sleep, I dragged myself out to the kitchen to make my breakfast. Lord Kissington had thoughtfully boiled the water for my tea. I love tea, I drink it every morning, and even though I gave up caffeine a couple of years ago*, it’s part of my morning ritual. As I poured the water into the mug, I noticed something floating in it. It appeared to be two tiny roaches, presumably dead. Yes, we have roaches. It’s basically the price you pay for living in a city apartment. You can exterminate and put down Combat traps, but they will always come back. Usually, it’s not too bad and I can live with the occasional roach, as long as they keep their distance. But this morning, they crossed the line. The mug was empty when I started to pour, so they must have invaded the sanctity of my tea kettle. This aggression will not stand. But I really wanted that cup of tea, so I gave myself a pep talk (“It’s just a cup of tea, princess. You can make yourself another one.”) and resolved to begin again. I dumped out the tea and the kettle. I scrubbed the kettle and rinsed it out thoroughly about 18 times. I boiled the water again. When it was ready, I poured it into a clean mug. And I looked down into the cup as I poured, and what did I see. Yes, two more tiny floating roaches. I really wanted to cry, but instead I just dumped out the second cup and resigned myself to a tea-less morning. Sigh.

*In an effort to combat my insomnia. I’ve always been really susceptible to the effects of caffeine, so I thought it might help. It worked for a short time, but didn’t really make a big difference in the end. Now on the rare occasions when I do consume caffeine, its effects are much more pronounced and it keeps me awake for hours.

4 Comments:

  • At 8/31/06, 11:25 PM, Blogger Big Sky Girl said…

    EWWWW!!!

    Now, I'm going to go inspect every inch of my apartment for roaches.

     
  • At 8/31/06, 11:48 PM, Blogger JordanBaker said…

    OH. . .my god. . .that's nasty. And it worries me.

    And my insomnia is back in a big way too. 2-4 hours a night for the last week. Urgh. Maybe it's the weather.

     
  • At 9/3/06, 5:03 AM, Blogger Cupcake Blonde said…

    Oh man, now I have the creepy crawlies. Where the heck did they come from? Were they on the tea bags? Ugh!!

    I too have been struck with the non-sleepies. Perhaps Jordan is right...my mood is always affected by the changing season, maybe my sleep is too.

     
  • At 9/5/06, 10:36 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    bsg: i hope you don't have them.

    jb: i temporarily cured the insomnia for a few days, but then it came roaring back last night. stupid weather.

    vp: the next day, i found several bugs crawling in the box of tea bags. who knew they were so into tea?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home