tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Here She Goes with the Politics Again

As my regular readers (all 6 of you) know, I don’t write about politics so much, preferring topics like literature, insomnia, Hugh Laurie, and Britney Spears’ trainwreck of a life. But lately, I have taken up an interest in local politics, being that we’re having an election and all. So prepare yourself for another political post (I promise I’ll get back to complaining about eyebrow waxing and Sienna Miller soon).

1. The Express’ Free Ride mentioned my last post and suggested that I am a Marie Johns supporter. This is not strictly correct. It’s not so much that I support Johns as that I’m opposed to everyone else. I’m not even sure that I would vote for Johns (if I were able to vote in the primary, time to remind myself that a love for Pavement, Wes Anderson, and hoodies doesn’t necessarily translate to being politically indie). But other than the whole having been CEO of Verizon thing, she’s the only one who hasn’t show some fatal flaw.

2. How is a debate between only the two front-runner candidates at all democratic? I wasn’t able to watch the Fenty/Cropp debate since I don’t have cable. I haven’t been able to find more than a couple of short clips on the internets (if anyone has a link to the whole thing, please send it my way). From what I’ve seen, I continue to be unimpressed with them both. Fenty seems humorless, and Cropp’s negative campaigning just makes her look desperate at this point. I will give Fenty points for pointing out that Cropp’s claims to have balanced the budget are ridonkulous. Unfortunately, he loses points for not sending his kids to DC public schools. (He has said he will send them to public school as soon as they finish nursery school. However, they attend a “nursery school” that goes through third grade.)

3. I suppose it’s not surprising that the debate included only Cropp and Fenty. The Post only recognizes five Democratic candidates, even though there are seven on the ballot.

4. In national news, Rumsfeld seems to think that media coverage of the war in Iraq is too negative and that’s why no one supports the war. It couldn’t possibly have anything to do with the whole situation being a quagmire, now could it? And apparently, any criticism is a bad thing. He said, “Any kind of moral and intellectual confusion about who and what is right or wrong can severely weaken the ability of free societies to persevere.” Sorry, Rummy, that’s democracy. Last time I checked, it was still a free country.

5. This morning, I told Lord Kissington that I wished Zaphod Beeblebrox was running for mayor. He’s for “people, democracy, freedom, and stuff.” Now that’s a candidate I can get behind. Our conversation:

LK: “You’d really want a candidate whose brain is powered by lemons?”
Me: “Well, he wouldn’t be any worse than the other candidates.
LK: “Point taken.”

Besides, his campaign song and video are awesome. Lyrics like

In no way is he stupid
In no way is his brain impaired

It’s just not true

He’s smarter than you
And he’s better looking too.

are way better than

Get down with Brown
He’s running for Mayor in this town

He knows just what to do

He’s looking out for you.

1 Comments:

  • At 8/31/06, 5:13 PM, Blogger bryc3 said…

    i think it's telling that the only position cropp ever seems really firm about is her devotion to the cause of exposing fenty as a fucktard.

    it shows her for what she really is- an evil little worm.

    as for fenty, well, if linda cropp is willing to go out on a limb to make a point about you, it pretty much has to be true, doesn't it?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home