tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Seriously, What Is It with This Crosswalk?

Yesterday, I wrote that “one loud profanity-laced outburst had already filled my quota for the day,” but apparently, I was wrong. Walking home from work last night, I reached the crosswalk mentioned in the last post with a touch of trepidation, wondering what fresh indignities might be heaped upon me this time. I looked out into the oncoming traffic (it’s a one-way street) and saw that there were no cars (or bikes) coming, so I gingerly put one foot out into the crosswalk. I stopped short as a bike coming from the opposite direction (did I mention that it’s a one-way street) screeched to a halt. All too predictably, the cyclist began screaming at me, “Wake up! Wake up!” I ignored him and hurried across the street. He continued to scream “Wake up!” at me as I walked away. Finally, I couldn’t take it anymore. I’ll be damned if I’m going to take safety tips from someone who is breaking the law and who is NOT WEARING A HELMET WHILE RIDING IN TRAFFIC. So, I turned around and screamed, “It’s a one-way street, asshole!” Then I turned back and kept walking. Surely, this fills my quota for encounters with assholes for the week.

10 Comments:

  • At 8/24/06, 3:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good for you - nothing worse than a cyclist who wants all the same rights as a car but refuses to obey the same laws.

    (And there's a special spot in hell for the ones who ride on the sidewalk.)

     
  • At 8/24/06, 3:04 PM, Blogger Washington Cube said…

    Nothing like a little road rage to complete the evening.

     
  • At 8/24/06, 3:13 PM, Blogger I-66 said…

    I hope you're right and that you're idiot-free for a while, but whenever I think the same for myself, they just build a better asshole.

    I wish you luck :)

     
  • At 8/24/06, 5:14 PM, Blogger Jamy said…

    Seriously? He yelled "wake up" at you while riding the wrong way on a one-way street while you were IN the crosswalk?

    You know that when you are in the crosswalk, even if there is no signal--ESPECIALLY when there is no signal--you have the right of way. Anyone in the street, going in the wrong direction, does not.

    Asshole.

     
  • At 8/24/06, 5:30 PM, Blogger JordanBaker said…

    I'm going to think of your bravery the next time I have to deal with the freaks who don't know that the right turn lane at 16th/U/New Hampshire is for right turns only.

     
  • At 8/24/06, 7:55 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    anon: totally agreed about the sidewalk.

    wc: oh yes, it makes for a very relaxing walk home.

    i-66: i know better than to think i'm really going to be idiot-free for more than a day or two.

    jamy: you know the crosswalk rule. i know the crosswalk rule. apparently, no one else who drives or rides through this intersection gets it. even with the very large sign explaining the rule. sigh.

    jb: both incidents happened at that very intersection (the NH part). it's bad bad intersection. i've seen several nasty accidents happen there.

     
  • At 8/25/06, 11:36 PM, Blogger mysterygirl! said…

    You are my hero.

     
  • At 8/26/06, 11:47 PM, Blogger Cupcake Blonde said…

    Wow, it sucks when you can't escape road rage even on foot. You have way more restraint than me though. I would have waited for him to start to leave and thrown a stick in his spokes and then laughed as he flew over his handlebars.

     
  • At 8/28/06, 7:49 PM, Blogger JordanBaker said…

    Going through there to get to the gym and constantly being nearly cut off/sideswiped by assholes who attempt to merge on to New Hampshire from the Right Turn Only lane on 16th is the bane of my existence.

     
  • At 8/28/06, 10:05 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    mg!: thanks!

    vp: apparently, i can't escape. i am definitely trying the stick next time.

    jb: that intersection gives me anxiety attacks.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home