tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Thursday, October 05, 2006

It Would Be So Much Worse If I Had Cable

Despite my resolve to get back to blogging regularly, it’s been a little difficult. I seem to lack the motivation to gather my thoughts in a coherent manner. So, if what follows doesn’t make a whole lot of sense, I apologize.

Yesterday was just a lousy day. I felt sick, I couldn’t seem to get anything done, and I managed to give myself a splinter at work (at my non-manual labor job). I finally decided to go home sick.

I spent much of the afternoon obsessing over the splinter. Tweezers didn’t seem to be doing the trick, so I attacked it with a needle (sterilized with alcohol, of course, I’m not as nuts as I sound). I have no idea if I’ve actually gotten the splinter out. Should I be worried? My mother has always insisted that splinters are totes dangerous and will lead to blood poisoning, but other, less hypochondriacally inclined people have told me that the splinter usually works itself out eventually. I’ve decided to go with that theory.

When not mutilating my pinkie, I watched TV. For like 8 hours or something. My brain feels a lot mushier than when I started. Several hours of soaps produced a lot of head-shaking on my part. (Really, Jason? It’s just occurring to you that Elizabeth’s baby might be yours? How did you ever get to be number 2 in the local mob?)

By the time primetime rolled around, I had very little patience left for what awaited me. Last year, I kind of liked Bones. This year, it’s awful. They brought in that annoying woman as Brennan’s new boss, in a pathetic effort to make some sort of (painfully awkward) love triangle. And the plots, while not exactly brilliant last year, are just ridiculous. I can always figure out who the murderer is by midway through the show. And it’s not that I’m brilliant or psychic, it’s just the answer is painfully obvious.

So, by the time Lost came on, my patience had worn a bit thin. I was fairly excited for the new season. My favorite wacky hatch resident Desmond is now a regular cast member, and I was interested to see how they were going to follow up on last spring’s awesome cliffhanger.

Sigh. I had such high hopes, but they began to diminish rather quickly when I realized that it was going to be yet another Jack flashback. How many does this make? 12? Is there really anything more that we need to know about Jack? We know all about his daddy issues (is it just me or does everyone on this damn island have daddy issues?). We know that he was sad about his wife leaving him. We know that HE CRIES ALL THE FUCKING TIME. And it was just more of the same. More daddy issues. More ex-wife issues. And lots more crying. Enough with the crying already.

Jack seems to be building a bond with sensitive “Other” Juliet. I don’t know how I feel about Juliet. I mean, her favorite book is by Stephen King. Really? On the other hand, she totally burned Henry Gale/Ben by kicking him out of her book club.

I should really lay off the TV.

3 Comments:

  • At 10/6/06, 1:34 PM, Blogger JordanBaker said…

    Jason's brain damage from AJ's drunk driving accident a million years ago has clearly made him forget where babies come from.

    As for LOST, I found myself thinking "this? this I've waited four months for? Please."

     
  • At 10/9/06, 1:03 AM, Blogger Cupcake Blonde said…

    I think the first five minutes of LOST were the best and then it just got weird and opened up more questions than answers. And I am a bit sick of Jack-centric episodes...even though he is the main character I would have liked to find out what happened to Desmond and Locke in the hatch. Maybe next week.

    I hate splinters. I am such a big baby when it comes to paper cuts and splinters.

     
  • At 10/11/06, 11:01 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    jb: i love soap opera selective brain damage.

    vp: i am so sick of jack. and i found the whole episode decidedly meh.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home