tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Monday, November 20, 2006

Lack of Wordage

Lack of Wordage

Things have gotten really crazy and posting has fallen by the wayside. I’ve been having serious stress of the unable to sleep, mysterious stomach pains, and lovely red blotches bursting out all over my body (hawt, I know) variety. This has led to a reduction in writing and in any fun activities that might actually give me something to write about.

1. The other day, I wore this new top to work. I spent the whole day feeling like the top just wasn’t working for me. It was kind of a crazy pattern and the cut didn’t really feel right to me. I was totally uncomfortable in it all day. And then it dawned on me. This was the sort of top that crazy Great Aunt Edna might wear. I don’t actually have a crazy Great Aunt Edna, but you know the type. She wears crazy outfits and accessorizes them with turbans. And you look at her and think, “Wow, that is one crazy outfit Great Aunt Edna has on, but you know, she’s really working it, what with the turban and the crazy clunky jewelry.” Sadly, “crazy Great Aunt who lives in Miami and wears wacky print muumuus” isn’t really the look I’m striving for, so I don’t think I’ll be wearing this top again.

[The following contains a spoiler for V for Vendetta, so please skip if you are planning to watch it. However, I would really recommend that you skip watching it. You’ll thank me.]

2. Over the weekend, I watched V for Vendetta. It was one of those movies that I meant to see in the theater, but by the time I got around to it, it was gone. I figured I would enjoy it. I usually like futuristic Utopia-gone-wrong sort of tales (We, Brave New World, and Anthem* are among my favorite books). Sadly, this film did not live up to my expectations. I knew we had a problem in the first five minutes when Natalie Portman’s character is rescued from a potential gang rape by a guy wearing a creepy mask. Even though the rescuer has just knifed the three creeps to death and is WEARING A REALLY CREEPY MASK, she agrees to go with him when he asks her to come hear some music with him. I know she’s been trained by her totalitarian society to obey at all costs, but you would think there might be a moment of hesitation. But no, there wasn’t. That set the tone for the rest of the movie, and I was flipping through US Weekly before long. The last 10 minutes or so was fairly decent, but couldn’t even begin to compensate for the previous 2 hours.

3. Last night, I had Chinese food. I have noticed that lately, the fortunes I’ve gotten with Chinese food have been very lame. Last night’s fortunes included such gems as “The weather is nice.” I got one that said “For those who feel, life is a tragedy; for those who think, life is a comedy.” Not only is this not a fortune, but I don’t even agree with it. Perhaps life is a tragedy for those who feel, but life is definitely a tragedy for those who think. The happiest people I’ve known have always been kind of dumb, and I figure that their lack of thinking about things make them much happier. Those who are not cursed with self-awareness are generally much happier than those who are. So, fuck you, fortune cookie that isn’t even a fortune.

*The only Ayn Rand I could get through, probably because it’s 1000 pages shorter than all of her other books.


4 Comments:

  • At 11/21/06, 12:47 PM, Blogger JordanBaker said…

    My all time worst fortune still remains "a nice cake is waiting for you." It wasn't. Heartbreaking.

     
  • At 11/21/06, 3:22 PM, Blogger bryc3 said…

    i'm willing to bet that, despite my constant bitching as evidence to the contrary, i'm actually among the happiest people you know. so are you calling me stupid?

    there was a book i heard about somewhere about that compiled a list of negative fortune cookies. "Life is Suffering" and things like that. pretty funny.

    you also didn't mention orwell in your negative utopia list. and you're calling ME stupid?

     
  • At 11/22/06, 7:46 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    jb: i hate broken fortune cookie promises.

    bryc3: yes, you're happy, but you've also spent enough time being miserable to not be stupid.

    i've actually never read 1984. we read an excerpt from it in 8th grade, and there was a scene involving rats that disturbed me so much, i swore never to read it. and i haven't. so here. have you even heard of "we"? just askin' is all.

     
  • At 11/28/06, 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My fiance got the best ever non-fortune from Meiwah last night:

    "As man is to character, carbon is to steel."

    (Or something. I think I may have accidentally paraphrased more concisely than the actual verbiage.)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home