tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Notes on an Election and Other Things

1. On Saturday, we went duckpin bowling for a friend’s birthday. Apparently, I don’t completely suck at it. I enjoy bowling of the rare occasions that I do it, but the whole having to wear shoes that have been worn by who knows how many people thing really freaks me out. This time, I figured out a way to cut down on the germ factor (or at least to assuage my germ phobia). I wore an old pair of socks for bowling, and I brought an extra pair of socks. After bowling, I removed the bowling shoe-contaminated socks, put them in a ziplock bag I had brought specifically for that purpose, and put on the clean socks, thereby avoiding any contamination in my own shoes. Yes, I know, very OCD.

2. On Sunday, while on a trip to the burbs, we stopped at a Taco Bell. There is just something about suburban Taco Bell. I’ve tried city Taco Bell, but there’s always something a little off about it. This particular suburban Taco Bell is open until 4 a.m., and they have all kinds of signs advertising “the meal between dinner and breakfast.” Because Americans really need to add another meal to their diets. They also had a sign announcing that all items can be made without meat and that Taco Bell is “Great for Lent!” I’m glad they’re looking out for the Catholics, but Lent doesn’t actually start until 21 February 2007. Still, it’s good to be prepared.

3. So, it’s Election Day. I keep thinking about the Virginia Senatorial election and how voters have to choose between a possibly racist douchebag and a possibly sexist douchebag*. But really, I’m just jealous that you get to have a senator.

4. I’ll be voting today, but it’s really an exercise in futility. Fenty is all but elected already, and most of the other candidates in my ward are running unopposed. But I have to vote. If I don’t vote, I feel like I’m just giving in to a Congress who seems to think we don’t deserve voting rights. It sucks to be disenfranchised.

*The choice seems pretty easy here—vote for the guy who doesn’t mention in every other sentence that he used to play football and that his daddy coached the Redskins.

3 Comments:

  • At 11/8/06, 1:33 PM, Blogger JordanBaker said…

    I have never gone bowling without breaking at least three nails. And I suck at it. Bowling is not my friend.

     
  • At 11/8/06, 9:09 PM, Blogger bryc3 said…

    i thought the same thing when i saw the taco bell commercial advertising the in between meal concept. then i remember the stoned teenager market segment.

    how sad is our society that a major corporation can build it's billion dollar business around the fatties and the kids all blown out on grass?

     
  • At 11/8/06, 10:26 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    jb: that is the beauty of duckpin bowling. there are no holes in the balls, so no broken nails.

    webcowgirl: the shoes are just so nasty. the thought of them almost kept me from bowling.

    bryc3: yeah, what you said. i have a story about late night taco bell that i'll tell you sometime. i'd put it on here, but it would just bore everyone.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home