tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Friday, April 06, 2007

I've Totally Got "in the Navy" Stuck in My Head These Days

I was working on a spring-related post, but on a day when I spent 15 minutes searching for the gloves I thought I was done with, such a post no longer feels appropriate. At first, I felt sort of bad for all the underdressed tourists I saw today, but they kept blocking the sidewalk, so I got over that pretty quickly. Besides, anyone who had done a little research before their trip would have learned that spring temperatures in DC are unreliable at best.

**************************************************

Is it just me, or are those recently released British sailors mostly all teh hot? Especially the one in the front of all the group shots and the one that kind of looks like Prince William except less balding. In Jane Austen’s Persuasion, the naval men are treated like rockstars. Now I see why. I do feel for the lone female sailor. All the male sailors are given suits, and she gets stuck with the frumpy denim and unflattering horizontal stripes.

**************************************************

My apartment building got a new management company last year, and they make me long for the days of the old, half-assed managerial team. The new group is very rules-oriented, and they release a lot of memos and statements, 98% of which are completely pointless. They’re posted a new set of rules for our roof deck, which ban parties, illegal substances (I really would have thought this one was a given, being that they’re, you know, illegal. Besides, anyone consuming illegal substances isn’t likely to be the rules-oriented type.), and alcohol, thereby making the roof deck completely worthless. If I can’t have a glass of wine with my sunset, what’s the point?

I paid the rent on Monday. They recently raised the rent, starting last month. I couldn’t remember the new amount (it not being a nice round number), so I looked at last month’s check and wrote it for the same amount. Last night, when I got home, they had dropped off a letter, with my uncashed check attached. It spelled my last name wrong, told me that my check was too high by $3, and said that they do not accept overpayments and that I needed to drop off a new check. It also attached a copy of the rent payment rules, with the following rule highlighted in yellow: “We do not accept partial payments.”

I thought of writing them a response along the lines of:

Dear Fascist Manager,

I would like to point out that the partial payment rule does not apply in this case, as the word partial means a part of a whole, and I paid the whole amount, plus $3. This is an overpayment, about which your rules remain silent. Also, last month, I paid this same amount and was not informed that I had overpaid. I expect a refund check in the amount of $3 to be given to me in a prompt manner.

Very sincerely yours,
Lady Tiara

But then I realized that I might end up having to deal with the fascists in person or on the phone over the matter, and it’s worth $3 not to have to do that.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 4/6/07, 2:04 PM, Blogger JordanBaker said…

    I actually had to leave a baseball game early last night because I was too cold, despite wearing:
    a wool coat
    over a Nats t-shirt
    over a merino wool sweater
    over an undershirt.

    All Spring related rhapsodizing is thereby on hold.

     
  • At 4/6/07, 5:28 PM, Blogger schadenfreude said…

    Oh, my heart totally went out to that female sailor and that *awful*, Awful outfit they gave her. Can you imagine knowing the whole WORLD is watching and you're wearing that? Next to 14 hot men in fancy grey suits, and you look like a clown?!

     
  • At 4/7/07, 4:23 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    jb: now that it actually snowed, easter is feeling more like christmas. this is just weird.

    schadenfreude: wasn't it awful? i felt soooo bad for her. and that babushka... shudder.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home