tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Thursday, February 14, 2008

I Have Always Depended on the Kindness of Strangers

Every now and then, I come down from the cloud of misanthropy I usually reside in and admit that people may not be all that bad*. Some of them actually manage to not suck, especially when one is having a slightly Blanche Dubois moment.

Like yesterday, when I managed to fall not once but twice on my walk home from work. The first time, I fell down, woman came running over to ask if I was all right (and made me feel much better by telling me that she had fallen twice), and a man helped me up. I thanked them both profusely and continued on my way. Fifteen minutes later, I was on my ass again, and things were looking a bit more dire this time. There wasn’t anyone nearby, and I could.not.get.up. I put a hand out to push myself up and I slid. I put a foot out and I slid. It was just a sheet of ice. I was lying there liked a beached whale trying to figure out how I was going to get out of this predicament. Then a man appeared and asked if I was ok. I told him I was, and he helped me up and said that he had just spoken to a friend who had also fallen. Which made me feel slightly better. As did the fact that I had fallen twice and managed to not injure myself.

Sadly, my newfound good feelings for humanity were soon drummed out by the following thoughts:

Curse you, J. Crew and your shoddily made, overpriced crap. Waterproof Wellingtons, my ass**.
Seriously, college campuses and historic homes of DC, would it be so hard to put out a little salt.
Is it really necessary for three cars in a row to try to run me over?

Sigh. It was nice while it lasted.

*Lord Kissington and I both subscribe to following maxim: “Sure, I like people in theory. Just not so much in practice.”
**I am still trying to figure out how something that appears to be made from one giant piece of rubber that doesn’t have any holes can leak.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 2/14/08, 12:26 PM, Blogger Angelica said…

    At least you weren't hurt! My brother-in-law slipped right into a tree yesterday.

     
  • At 2/14/08, 1:17 PM, Blogger JordanBaker said…

    Aw, I heart my J. Crew wellies (granted, I got them on super reduction, so that makes them more loveable). Maybe you got a bad batch?

     
  • At 2/14/08, 2:53 PM, Blogger AM said…

    I always like to hear stories about people looking out for each other.

    I often walk around thinking about how much I hate people (especially in this town), but yesterday when I hit the ground hard after slipping on the curb, a guy stopped to make sure I was okay and I appreciated it. I especially appreciated it since I did it in front of a busy street filled with teenagers and college undergrads. Yeah, I really didn't expect any of them to do anything.

     
  • At 2/15/08, 2:10 AM, Blogger dcpeg said…

    Oooh -- sorry to hear about your "rear-enders"! Not smooth and entirely too embarrassing. Glad you didn't break anything.
    When I was in college(during the dark ages) my fave shoes for ice were what we called "fruit boots" or chukka boots. They had plantation crepe rubber soles and NEVER slipped. Wish someone would bring them back. . .

     

Post a Comment

<< Home