tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Size Me Up

In preparation for a new job and a new season, I’ve been shopping more than usual lately. And it’s been a bewildering experience because sizes no longer make sense. I’m realistic about my body. Even with my recent 7 pound weight loss (thanks, stomach flu!), I’m a size 8 in pants or jeans thanks to my cursed thighs (the weight loss coming mostly from my waist and, sadly, the breasts). In skirts and dresses, I’m generally a 6. Tops vary a bit more. Depending on the shape and cut, I’m a small or medium or a 4 or 6.

But my recent shopping excursions have left me very confused as to my size. I spent a half hour dithering over a white shirt that was just a hair too big in a small but didn’t work at all in an extra-small. Could it be tailored? Was it even worth bothering? I cursed a series of skirts that fit either my hips or my waist, but never both.

And then there were the visits to Anthropologie. I’ve always found their sizing to be a bit inconsistent, so I’m nervous ordering anything online and prefer to try things on in person. My recent forays yielded the following purchases: a size small top, two size-6 dresses, and one size-4 dress. A little all over the place, but not too crazy. But then there were the rejected items. The size-medium top that was falling off me. The size-small top that I couldn’t get over my shoulders (I really think that was the odd design of the top and not any odd deformity to my shoulders. I mean, they look normal enough to me.). The size-8 dress that looked dreadful. The size-6 skirt that was falling off me. I had to go down to a 2 in that one (I ended up passing on it for the moment). Size 2 to size 8 is a pretty big size range. You can see why I’m a little wary of ordering anything online. Maybe I’ll just go back to shoe shopping, where I’m pretty much always a size 8. Ahh, predictability.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 9/4/07, 2:30 PM, Blogger schadenfreude said…

    Aw, I miss trading shoes and hand-me-downs with you...remember our matching Target 'pontoon' sandals?

    And when are we going to hear about this new *job*?! Is it classified? embarrassing? Are you the new letters editor of Penthouse Forum?

     
  • At 9/5/07, 12:58 PM, Blogger JordanBaker said…

    I think the worst offenders in this category are Anthropologie and J. Crew, where I've often had to buy skirts that only differed in color in two different sizes. Because a red 2 and a blue 2 are entirely different things, apparently.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home