tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

A Few Notes Cobbled Together in Between Working on a Real Post

1. This weekend, Lord Kissington and I become godparents to his niece (leading to our friends saying things like “they chose you two to be godparents?” in a tone of disbelief). On behalf of the baby, we renounced Satan and all his minions. It was really hard not to giggle every time the priest said minions (I even giggle when I type the word minions). I kept picturing little tiny red devils cavorting around the big devil’s feet (or cloven hooves I suppose). The instructions for godparents card they gave us didn’t say much other than that we should be models of Christian living for the kid (leading me to question why we were chosen as godparents) and that we should give the kids religious-themed gifts, like Bibles, rosaries, and gift certificates for religious goods and books—just the sort of gifts every kid wants to receive (I was kind of figuring we’d be the cool godparents—the ones who give you stuff your parents totally disapprove of). It also suggested that we commemorate the anniversary of the baptism every year with a card or gift. Oh please. The kid already gets birthdays and Christmas. Who the hell the celebrates their baptism day?

2. While 3/4-length sleeves may be totes adorable, they are not so good for cold mornings. Lately, I’ve been questioning why all my jackets have non-full-length sleeves. I don’t have an answer other than that I tend to emphasize aesthetics over practicality.

3. It is very hard to get dressed when the temperature is going to be 80 degrees, but you work in an office that resembles the Arctic frozen tundra in temperature. I may have to bring a blanket to work to cover my legs.

4. The walk to my new job is a huge improvement over the old one. There’s less traffic, fewer scary people screaming at me for no apparent reason, and way less urine-soaked pavement. And the walk has more potential for being entertaining. The other morning, I did a double take when I saw what looked like a man walking on air. Upon further examination, it turned out he had strung up a tightrope between two trees and was walking on it. He was dressed all in black. He sort of looked like a homeless ninja.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

  • At 10/18/07, 1:16 PM, Blogger JordanBaker said…

    My mother's sister was my godmother, and she bought me all the toys I wanted that my mother deemed sexist and snuck me out to get my ears pierced one summer when I was in St. Louis.

    My godfather was a college friend of my parents who I didn't meet until this summer. He gave me a book about Jebus.

    Guess whose model for living I prefer to follow?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home