tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

We Love You, Hugh

So, last night, I am flopped on the couch, tired as hell, flipping around the channels to see if there is anything remotely decent on. I stumble on the Golden Globes, and I am debating whether to watch when I see Hugh Laurie on the red carpet. Well, that seals the deal. I have had a not so secret love for the talented Mr. Laurie since circa 1993, and the rest of the world is finally catching up. He ended up winning for Best Actor in a TV drama, and he gave this really amazing, hysterically funny acceptance speech. Since he’s now best known for his snarky dramatic turn on House, it’s easy to forget that he got his start as a comedic actor (see his brilliant comedy sketch show, A Bit of Fry and Laurie, which he and best friend Stephen Fry wrote and acted in. Sadly, it’s not available on DVD.). In any case, we lurve him. (Although to be perfectly honest, there’s a little part of me that liked it better when I was the only one who knew he was. It’s the same part of me that stops listening to bands once they sell more than 20,000 albums. I’m a snob that way.)


(The Golden Globe system of categories is utterly mystifying. The Squid and the Whale, a film about how a bitter divorce messes with the lives of two kids, was nominated as best movie--comedy or musical. This film had some funny moments, but it's clearly a drama, and rather hard to watch, with lots of cringe-inducing moments. Not exactly a comedy.)

5 Comments:

  • At 1/17/06, 5:44 PM, Blogger bryc3 said…

    was good to see you guys at dinner last night.

    what was this post about again?

     
  • At 1/17/06, 6:53 PM, Blogger I-66 said…

    Tiaras Optional: Inadvertantly justifying my reasons for not watching awards shows since 1/17/2006

     
  • At 1/17/06, 8:48 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    bryc3: it was fun. and thanks for the tots.

    i-66: you're a wise man. although i have to say in favor of the golden globes, they don't bother with any lame production numbers, so it goes a lot faster than the oscars, which usually have me sobbing with boredom after about 10 minutes.

     
  • At 1/18/06, 3:28 PM, Blogger JordanBaker said…

    The thing about that category that has always irked me is the conflation of musicals with comedies--like Walk The Line has more in common, somehow, with Cheaper by the Dozen, 2 than it does with Brokeback Mountain.

     
  • At 1/18/06, 6:45 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    even calling "walk the line" a musical is a stretch. "my fair lady" is a musical; "walk the line" is a movie about musicians that has music in it. but really, i guess the categories are just a way to nominate more films and actors. unless you're a supporting actor on TV, in which case you have to compete against supporting actors in dramas, comedies, and miniseries.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home