tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Friday, June 09, 2006

A Party Dilemma

No, it's not a question of voting Democrat or Republican (I made up my mind in favor of the former years ago, and all the recent anti-gay rhetoric of the latter is exactly making me want to change me mind). This is a "to party or not to party" dilemma.

Lord Kissington's birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks (13 days to be exact). We've been together for the last four birthdays and I threw him parties for three out of the four (2004 didn't happen because my grandfather died shortly before LK's birthday and I just didn't have the mental energy to throw anything together). The first two parties were a lot of fun and I enjoyed throwing them. Last year's party was sort of "meh."

A few things conspired to make last year's party not the best ever: (1) I had just thrown an insane going-away party a couple of weeks before from which I was still pulling shards of glass out of the rugs, (2) a lot of people couldn't make it for various reasons, so the turnout wasn't the best ever, (3) Lord Merlin kept "borrowing" our guests so we would periodically lose half the party, and (4) the next morning I discovered that one of the guests had stolen $50 from my purse*.

So, I've kind of lost my enthusiasm for parties. And there are a couple of reasons I'm not too jazzed about possibly throwing one this year: (1) the apartment is a total mess because of the wedding gift influx (oh, and the fact that we're both kind of messy), and I don't know if I can get it in working order in time; (2) the closest Saturday to his birthday is already claimed for a friend's baby's first birthday**, so the party would probably have to be on a Friday night, which is hard since we will have to run home from work to get everything ready; and (3) the noise complaint issues we've been having have made me paranoid, and I don't think anyone will enjoy a party where I ask them to remove their shoes at the door, don a pair of surgical booties, and keep all conversation to a dull roar.

LK has assured me that he doesn't care about a party. I don't need to throw one. We can go out to dinner with some friends or just the two of us or have people meet up at a bar and it would be fine with him. But I feel bad. I used to throw really great parties. I used to be the hostess with the mostest. I sort of feel like I am giving up if I can pull this one together. But I just don't think I have what it takes at the moment.

*Sadly, I knew everyone at that party well, except for a German neighbor that someone met on the roof and invited to the party. However, the German guy brought us a bottle of wine and I can't image someone bothering to give you a bottle of wine (a nice Chilean Merlot if I remember correctly) and then stealing from you. Also, the money was in my purse, which was tucked away in my bedroom, which was basically off limits (that's where I throw all the crap that I don't know what to do with at the last minute), so it had to have been taken by someone who wouldn't have seemed suspicious lurking around in my bedroom. Yes, this was all highly disturbing and I obviously haven't gotten over it.
**The mom came to last year's party, which was pretty funny, since it was her actual DUE DATE. Somebody enjoys a party.

And in other notes…

No sooner had I posted about Anna Wintour than another report surfaces about her wackiness. Yes, she's clearly nuts, but this does illustrate the kind of power she wields. Watch out, Lindsay Lohan. Anna will crush you like a bug under the heel of her Christian Laboutin's.

Tomorrow night, there's a blogger happy hour at Eye Bar. I was actually at the inaugural one last year, so it seems right that I should make an appearance at this one. I'll be the one standing in the corner not talking to you (because I'm really shy, not because I think I'm better than everyone, I swear.).

2 Comments:

  • At 6/9/06, 5:35 PM, Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said…

    I was at LK's party last year, and I had a blast... despite dragging along my overly drunk friend, AND having to take her to get her car the next day. SHYZA.

    As for tonight, I'm looking forward to seeing you.

     
  • At 6/13/06, 2:47 PM, Blogger bryc3 said…

    solution: bowling


    you're welcome

     

Post a Comment

<< Home