tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Childsafe

Recently, when inviting a friend with a newly crawling baby over, I mentioned that although our apartment wasn’t exactly childproof, it probably wouldn’t be too bad. Afterward, I thought it over and came to the realization that we may have the least child-safe home ever. It’s all filled with furniture with sharp edges and loads of toys that are only recommended for ages three and up. Not to mention all the precariously placed piles of crap that are everywhere, just waiting for a precocious little moppet to knock them over. This got me to thinking about what it would be like to have children of my own. I’m ambivalent enough about having children, but when I start to think about what I would have to do to make my life childproof--well, let's just say it’s a daunting prospect. So I suppose I can add that to the long list of reasons not to have children. Or perhaps, I can adapt the child to the home, rather than the other way around. If I just get the kid a Michelin Man style rubber suit and a pair of goggles, he/she should be fine, right?

6 Comments:

  • At 7/13/06, 10:51 PM, Blogger Marci said…

    Feed the child wine, and all is well.

     
  • At 7/14/06, 1:25 PM, Blogger JordanBaker said…

    I think the key is to wrap the baby in bubble wrap, leaving carefully placed holes for eyes, nose, mouth, and diaper access.

     
  • At 7/14/06, 3:45 PM, Blogger schadenfreude said…

    Never mind the safety, lets talk cost: $659,000. And this allows only $47K for a 4 year public college, which is awfully low even for college today. $659,000! or about $30K per year. I just don't understand how people expect to raise kids, send them to college and still have enough to retire. Can it be done? And who wants to, there's no budget for impulse buying Prada shoes at Loemanns left in there.

     
  • At 7/14/06, 8:14 PM, Blogger bryc3 said…

    i dunno, i love the idea of you and kisses nervously sweating while bean puts his chocolately mitts all over all the toys.

    you know, not surprisingly you can substitute slothy for bean and the sentence AND image both still work.

     
  • At 7/14/06, 10:07 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    marci: there's probably a well-meaning law against that, but i'm all for it.

    jb: i like the bubble wrap idea, but i'm somewhat daunted by the prospect of changing diapers on said bubble-wrapped baby. who am i kidding, i'm just daunted by the prospect of diapers.

    schadenfreude: you do make a compelling case. and i love my impulse buys.

    bryc3: the thing is, i see slothy as far more of a danger than bean. bean's hand are so small; how much damage can he really do? and it's not just slothy. what about all our wine glass shattering friends?

     
  • At 7/15/06, 10:56 PM, Blogger Big Sky Girl said…

    He'll need a helmet too. But hey, kids are resilient, mostly made of cartlige. Trust me, don' look for reasons not to have children there are just too many, but yet people keep doing it anyway, so there must be something good about it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home