tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Monday, June 19, 2006

Bait and Switch

On my way to work every morning, I pick up a copy of The Express. I like to read the gossip section and the Blog log (to see if anyone I know made it. I will never make it because I don’t blog about politics, the metro, or pandas). This morning, I went to grab the top copy and noticed that it was a copy of The Blade. Nothing against The Blade, but I wanted my Express, so I grabbed the next copy down, folded it over, and tossed it in my bag. Imagine my surprise when I got to work and discovered that I had actually picked up a copy of The Examiner. It’s not that I’m so attached to The Express, but I refuse to read The Examiner because months ago, they had a headline urging their readers to vote for “All-American Carrie” in last year’s American Idol, which bothered me on two levels:

1. This action seemed to lack journalistic integrity. I know it's only a free daily, but have a little integrity, please. Yes, newspapers endorse political candidates, but they do it on the editorial page, where it’s clearly an opinion, and not on the front page. And voting for American Idol is hardly at the level of voting in an actual election.

2. Wasn’t there anything more important going on in the world that day?

So, to the person who thought it would be really funny to put copies of other free newspapers in The Express’ box this morning, shame on you for taking advantage of my sleep-deprived brain and tricking me into picking up The Examiner. You people are bastard people.

2 Comments:

  • At 6/20/06, 12:28 PM, Blogger JordanBaker said…

    That's wrong. So wrong. The Examiner also seems to have very angry looking font, which I find upsetting first thing in the morning.

     
  • At 6/20/06, 4:41 PM, Blogger bryc3 said…

    i cannot believe i forgot to tell this story.

    i used to read the express on the metro on the way to work. only one day a few months ago i opened the little box and there were no papers in there. there was, however, a used condom. wasn't feeling the express anymore after that. it's only four stops to work anyway.

    but why a condom in there? i understand that condoms in my neighborhood are the detritus of the apparently booming prostitution trade. but isn't it easier to just toss them out the car window? why go to the trouble of sabotaging my newsstand? bastard people indeed.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home