tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Monday, July 10, 2006

I Would Totally Sell My Soul for Some Jimmy Choos

I saw The Devil Wears Prada over the weekend, and although I really enjoyed it, I had some issues with the message of it. The film is all about how the main character, Andy, is losing her soul by working as second assistant to Editor-in-Chief Miranda Priestly at Runway magazine (Vogue). Perhaps I’m shallow, but I don’t see it so much as losing her soul as gaining some really amazing clothes. When her boyfriend tells her he liked her old clothes better, I wanted to scream, “Are you nuts? How could anyone possibly like those schlubby, misshapen schmatas? She’s wearing sexy black Chanel, you moron!” (And really, are we supposed to believe that the lame, overly hairy boyfriend is any match for the supersexy Simon Baker?) Then her self-righteous friend tells her, “You’re not the same Andy anymore” or something to that effect, and all I can think is, “She gave you a Marc Jacobs purse, and this is how you repay her? Bitch.” Clearly, the feel-good message of this movie was lost on me. I suppose I’m just someone who would happily sell my soul for a free Chanel wardrobe. I did think Meryl Streep was amazing, and she looks fabulous, as does Anne Hathaway (after she ditches the frumpy clothes).

2 Comments:

  • At 7/11/06, 1:29 PM, Blogger JordanBaker said…

    As pretty as Simon Baker is, there's something subtly filthy about him all the time. I always expect him to be found dead in an alley, covered in twelve different bodily fluids and with a needle stuck in his arm. Send me Adrian Grenier; I'll clean him up nice.

     
  • At 7/11/06, 8:58 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    pretty lil' dreamer: honestly, i had issues with both men's eyebrows. her boyfriend's general lameness worked against him.

    jb: see, here's the thing. i think the sublty filthy is a big part of the attraction for me. what does that say about me?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home