tiaras optional

"My only argument is with those who do not view the world as cynically as I do." Michael Korda

Monday, July 24, 2006

Solitary Confinement

I am a person who doesn’t mind spending time alone. One might even say that I enjoy it. I hesitate to put this out there, for fear of being branded a “loner,” a word loaded with all sorts of negative connotations (camo-sporting nutjobs who live alone in cabins in the woods fretting over the UN’s plans for world domination). I enjoy being with people too and I would say that I am pretty social, but I find my own company pleasant and I have no problem with solitude. On a recent business trip, I was really looking forward to some alone time. I brought a bunch of books and hoped to order a lot of room service and catch up on my reading. I ended up having dinner engagements the whole time. When acquaintances asked me to dinner, I really felt like I couldn’t say no. It wasn’t like I had anyone else to eat with, and for some reason, I felt uncomfortable telling them that I really just wanted to sit alone in my room and eat room service.

Lord Kissington and I spend a great deal of time together. For someone who enjoys their own company, I think the mark of a successful relationship is that even though you like being alone, you would rather be with the other person most of the time. But every now and then, I need some time for myself. Yesterday, Lord Kissington wanted to see a movie, so I suggested he go by himself and I would spend the afternoon alone. He readily agreed (movies being one of those activities that I never feel bad about someone doing alone, since it’s not exactly an interactive experience*).

But once I had the afternoon to myself, I found that I didn’t quite know what to do. It was a beautiful day, so I took a book and sat in the park for a while. Sadly, the ground was still a bit wet from Saturday’s rain, so sitting for a long time wasn’t possible. I considered moving to one of the benches, but it’s been my experience that every time I sit on those benches, I get accosted by someone (I must give off some sort of crazydar, because they always find me). Once the ground became uncomfortable, I picked my damp ass up and pondered what to do. I really wanted to stay outside, and I wished that I had a backyard, because that would have been perfect. I considered sitting outside at one of my local haunts and having a drink, but there was something about drinking alone in the afternoon, even if I were outside, that sounded so, I don’t know, sad drunk**. So, I ended up going back to the apartment and reading in the bedroom. Have I lost my talent for solitude?

*Or at least it shouldn’t be. I always end up next to the people who feel the need to do a running commentary on the movie or use the time to time to catch up with their companion. You people are bastard people.
**Whereas if you are with someone, it becomes a convivial experience. You may still be drunks, but at least you have each other.

6 Comments:

  • At 7/24/06, 7:30 PM, Blogger bryc3 said…

    weird. i never go anywhere by myself. but yesterday i went to the nats game all by my lonesome. everyone else who likes to go was busy. i sold our other three tickets to a scalper and used the money to buy beer. i sat there enjoying the day and getting drunk by myself.

    the people who bought our tickets eventually turned up, and we shared a laugh as the scalper sold them for twice what he paid me for them. one of the new ticket-holders swore she knew me from somewhere, but couldn't place me. then it hits her- she had been sitting next to us at the cat on thursday night. how weird is that?

    so we ended up getting drunk and watching the game together, and they were very nice and fun. but part of me felt cheated that i lost my afternoon of drinking alone with 30,000 strangers.

     
  • At 7/24/06, 9:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If drinking alone outside in the afternoon is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

     
  • At 7/25/06, 12:12 AM, Blogger Cupcake Blonde said…

    It is so funny you posted this because I was just thinking today that I need some alone time. I used to use the time when I would get home before my husband as MY time to get mundane things done or just do something I know he would have no interest in. But now that he gets home at almost the same time as me my alone time has vanished and I am slowly going insane leading me to scream at my husband "Why can't you just go away for a few days and leave me in peace?" But I know if he ever did take me up on that I would be lonely the minute he left.

     
  • At 7/25/06, 12:19 PM, Blogger JordanBaker said…

    When I decide to drink alone outside in the afternoon, I tell myself I'm being "European." Because I'm so damned sophisticated.

     
  • At 7/26/06, 1:26 AM, Blogger Sharkbait said…

    My alone time used to be the work of the devil. That was the worst thing for me. Then I got 'lazy' and I enjoyed my alone time....

    Not so much anymore.

    Idle hands....are definate trouble for me.

     
  • At 7/26/06, 2:37 PM, Blogger Lady Tiara said…

    bryc3: see, i figure a baseball game isn't a bad place to go alone, because it's such a convivial sort of atmosphere. and you can always talk to that nats fanatic guy at the end of the row.

    rcr: drinking alone outside is at least better than drinking alone inside, don't you think?

    amanda: i actually ended up having many hours alone yesterday, since i went home sick and lord kissington met some friends after work and didn't come home until late. i was bored to tears by the time he finally got back.

    jb: if i can just maintain the veneer of sophistication, it's ok. it's just that when i'm sitting there drinking alone, i have the paranoid suspicion that i look pathetic rather than sophisticated.

    sharkbait: i used to be far more efficient in my alone time. now i don't seem to get anything done at all. but i try to embrace the laziness.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home